Team Member Monday: Meet Jess Costa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Year of Graduation: Class of 2019 baby

Major: Psychology with Global Studies and English Literature minors

Hometown: Hampton, NH (like Hampton Beach)

Fun Fact: My favorite song is “Killer Whales/Drunk Drivers” by Car Seat Headrest

Why did you choose St. Mike’s? I went to an accepted students day my senior year of high school and when I walked into the gym, there was this boy-girl duet singing Hozier’s “Someone New” and it pretty much just went uphill from there. I met some amazing people that day and I realized that this was where I was meant to go to college. I also love Burlington, it reminds me a lot of Portsmouth, NH which is one of my favorite spots back home.

What is your favorite place on campus? Def the 3s!!!! kidding…My favorite place on campus would have to be the bleachers behind the tennis courts. Living in Alumni last year lent to some solid memories on those bleachers with my pals.

What is your favorite thing about being a Middle School Mentor? I love my little with all my heart. Being able to see her every week and hear about all the trials and tribulations that come with being a seventh grade girl brings me back. I’m also surrounded by such an amazing group of mentors and our leadership team is one of a kind. I’m so lucky to be apart of this program. If you are reading this and thinking of becoming a mentor, I would 100% recommend it.

What is your favorite SMC memory? My favorite SMC memories are the nights I stay in with my friends, cooking dinner, playing scrabble and shooting the sh*t over a glass of wine. I’m so blessed with all the amazing people SMC has brought into my life.

Where is one place you hope to travel to? Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be Christian/Catholic to attend a Catholic college (ikr, shocking). I was actually raised Jewish and I have never once felt marginalized on this campus for having the religious background that I do. One place I would love to travel to is Israel, and I’m actually planning to go on Birthrights* after I graduate college.

*Birthrights is a not-for-profit educational organization that sponsors free ten-day heritage trips to Israel for young adults of Jewish heritage, aged 18–32.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthright_Israel