This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

I think it’s fair to say that this “quarantine” has gone on longer than any of us have wanted it to. The days drag on, we miss our friends and significant others, and our families are beginning to drive us crazy… at least this is how I’m feeling. To keep myself from getting bogged down in schoolwork, sad about missing my college campus, or scrolling through Tik Tok for far too long, I’ve decided to channel my energy into something else: trying a new healthy recipe everyday. I love to cook, bake, and blend using my Ninja and figured that now is the time to try out some fresh, simple, and fun recipes with ingredients we typically have in my house. Here are a few of my favorites!

Green Smoothie (1)

This is definitely one of my favorites these days! I typically enjoy it for lunch or an afternoon snack, and it’s super easy to make! First, blend the water and spinach. Once that’s done, add the rest of the ingredients to your blender and put it on high until it’s all combined. It makes about 1 to 2 servings. I typically drink it all in one serving, just saying :) 

• 1 cup of water

• 3 cups of spinach

• 1 frozen banana

• 1 quartered green apple

• Little bit of apple cider vinegar (ACV)

• Little bit of lemon juice

Green Smoothie (2)

I’m not sure which green smoothie I enjoy more, but this one definitely has a more tropical feel. Simply add all ingredients into your blender and add the orange juice as needed. I use fresh squeezed OJ, free of all the added sugar in the more processed brands!

• Half of an avocado

• 1-2 cups of spinach

• 1-2 cups of frozen pineapple

• Chia seeds

• Fresh squeezed orange juice (add accordingly)

Banana Oatmeal Pancakes

I’ve never been a big fan of pancakes (unpopular opinion) until I found this recipe! Just add every ingredient into your blender, let it rip, and then cook the batter as you would regular pancakes. Top with your favorite syrup, honey, or agave, and add fresh fruit! 

• 2 medium overripe bananas

• 2 eggs

• ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (I use vanilla)

• 1 tsp vanilla extract

• 1 and ½ cups of old fashioned oats

• 2 tsp baking powder

• ½ tsp cinnamon

• ¼ tsp salt

Filling and Pretty Salad

I was never a huge salad eater until I found myself wandering aimlessly in the college dining hall. So, I decided to get creative with what types of salad I could create! This is one of my favorites- lots of protein and fresh veggies! 

• Fresh spinach

• 1 grilled chicken tender

• 1 hard boiled egg

• Chopped up carrots and cucumber

• Little bit of blue cheese

• Some craisins

• Light balsamic dressing

“Ice Cream”

This year, I decided to give up all desserts for Lent, and as the season drew to an end, I found myself craving sweets more and more every night! Instead of caving days before Easter, I decided to experiment and make my own version of healthy ice cream. Simply add your bananas and a few pieces of ice to your blender, blend on high, add PB, and just a splash of milk. You don’t want too much milk or else it will be runny, so add it accordingly! Be patient and soon enough, you’ll have a soft-serve like delicious “ice cream.”

• 2 frozen bananas

• Little bit of ice

• Spoonful of peanut butter

• Milk (any kind!)

In conclusion, I challenge you to try out my recipes, or experiment with your own! Now is the time to be conscious of our minds, bodies, and souls, and to take care of them! Healthier options will keep you energized, more satisfied, and away from the bag of Doritos ;)

Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts & Spanish double major with a Business Administration minor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, VT. Member of the Varsity Women's Tennis Team, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Honors Program, Founder's Society, Tour Guide, Book Award Recipient, and lector in the Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel. One of two NE10 student athlete reps. 3.96 cumulative GPA. Dean's List Honoree every semester.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.