This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Due to a chain of unfortunate events over this past winter break, I underwent jaw surgery and was given a six week long recovery that prevented me from chewing anything or engaging in any physically demanding exercise. Basically, I was on a liquid and extremely soft food (soft enough that I did not need to chew in order to swallow) diet, and I could not participate in anything more intense than speed walking.

As someone who typically eats more than the average female in college (at least I am under the impression that I do based on how much more I usually eat compared to those around me) and who tries to run several miles most days of the week, I knew that my recovery was going to have both a mental and physical toll on my health. While I was well prepared for the repercussions of not being able to be satiated by anything I consumed and not being able to run—which not only acts as a form of exercise, but also a way to relieve stress—I was certainly not prepared for the physical changes that occurred to my body.

Over the six week period, I lost a total of 15 pounds—about 12% of my body weight. Fifteen pounds may not seem significant; however, barely over five feet tall, the weight loss became glaringly obvious to myself and others. Besides the number on the scale, I noticed changes within my body. My legs became skinnier, my stomach flatter, my ribs more pronounced. Some people would comment on how skinny or how good I looked. Some of my family and friends joked that some people would love to drop the amount of weight I did in such a short amount of time.

But the thing is, I was completely content with my weight before. I ate relatively mindfully, ran almost daily, and stayed hydrated; I was healthy, and I did not need to lose weight. Fifteen pounds lighter, I am not nearly as healthy. I tire quickly, I get cold extremely easily, I sometimes become lightheaded. Now that I am able to eat and exercise again, my goals are to become healthy once again and never take my wellbeing for granted.

Photo Sources:

1. http://gochinesemedical.com/images/lose-weight2.jpg

2. http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/05/29/6360016006863804641887584534_32517968-Healthy-lifestyle-vector-illustration-with-typography-Design-elements-for-a-poster-flyer-graphic-mod-Stock-Vector.jpg