nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

A List of Things to Be Grateful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Every year around this time, I feel a symbolic weight lifted off my shoulders. I personally struggle pretty hard both physically and mentally during the winter months, so the first glimmers of spring bring a new attitude and perspective into my life. The precipice that is the changing of the seasons has me in a reflective, yet grateful state of mind. Here is a list of things we sometimes overlook in our everyday life, but things we should be grateful for every day.

1.) The sun

This is such a simple thing to be grateful for, but after months of gray skies it’s truly magnificent to wake up to the sun peeping through the blinds. Brighter days are ahead and warmer weather is coming.

2.) Breakfast

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. There is truly no better feeling than getting up and making yourself (or choosing something for yourself) a meal that’ll satisfy your hunger and give you the energy you’ll need to tackle your day. My personal favorite is oatmeal with sliced apples, almond butter, a sprinkle of chia seeds and cinnamon.

3.) Headphones

Saint Mike’s is a lovely campus filled with familiar faces all around. Sometimes, it’s hard to be in this environment when you’re not exactly feeling social. That’s where headphones come in. I’m grateful for the days I choose to walk by myself to class, listening to my favorite music. It’s like a seven minute self-care walk. I highly recommend it.

4.) The beautiful people in my life

A recurring theme throughout many of my Her Campus articles is the love I have for my friends and family. I am truly so very blessed to have the incredible friends, family, and boyfriend that I do. Each day I am reminded of just how lucky I am and how much support I have in my life near and far.

5.) Being a student at Saint Michael’s College

The time and the world we live in can be discouraging. There is so much turmoil and hate that surrounds us that it can be really difficult to find the light in days that seem so heavy. There have been numerous instances throughout my time as a student here at Saint Mike’s that reflects the current world climate. Yet with each incident, I am reminded of why I chose to go to SMC. I am so grateful to go to a college that has zero tolerance for harassment and discrimination and that this college encourages diversity and inclusion. It sets the bar high for the world myself and my peers want to live in outside of the small bubble that is Saint Michael’s College.

With the change of the seasons comes a new outlook on life. Take time each day to think of something you are appreciative for. It’ll only take a minute and it’ll do your outlook on life wonders.

Sources:

1. http://www.businessnetworkingmadesimple.com/uncategorized/be-grateful/

Hey, I'm Jess Costa and I am a Junior Psychology major and a Global Studies minor at SMCVT. My interests in journalism include self-care, mental health, music, fashion, food, and fitness. Follow me on Instagram @jessicacosta007