Changes Theme week
Changes Theme week
Rachael Prescott
Wellness > Mental Health

Handling Triggers in a Time of Uncertainty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s official. We are in quarantine and we are not going back to St. Mikes this semester. This means that we are staying at our homes for at least 2 more months, and for many of us – for the rest of the summer. For some, being home comes with a lot more than missing the homies ( although it definitely comes with this) but it comes with anxieties that we felt safe from back at school. There can be many triggers in our hometowns that we must now learn to identify and handle, all during this time of uncertainty. 

With Corona, we are all feeling the impacts of this time of uncertainty. Not only do we not have structure but we are feeling out of control and our bodies feel it too. Having to change our environment and leave the people who make us feel at home and be exposed to an environment that makes our body feel helpless is tough – but it is doable. 

It is important to recognize your triggers and allow your body to feel what it is feeling. Our bodies are doing the best they can in a time where there already isn’t a lot of external control. They are doing their best with what they know – and let it tell you when it feels anxious, worried or unsafe, and be sure to do your best to recognize it and address it. For some, grounding or remembering where you are and what is around you helps your body remember that you are not in any physical danger. Another way to handle this is to do activities where you have control, such as cooking or cleaning. No matter what works for you, remember to forgive yourself and your body for it’s response. 

Whatever makes you feel safe is the method you should continue to practice. But most importantly, be nice to yourself and to your body. It is easy to be angry at your body for feeling the way it does, especially when you don’t have control. However, forgive yourself for the way you feel and the way your body is reacting because despite the situation, your feelings are valid and real. Most importantly, reach out and talk about what you are feeling. When we are feeling lost it is easy to feel alone and helpless, but there is always someone there who can help you out of your maze of thoughts. If there isn’t someone at home who you feel safe discussing your feelings with – remember that Saint Mikes has counseling services available despite this online semester. Remember, do what is best for you, whether that be grounding exercises,  finding alternative living, or talking to your friends – no matter how much it may feel like you are, you are not alone

Class of 2022 International Relations and Public Health Major Peace and Justice Minor
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.