Changes Theme week
Changes Theme week
Rachael Prescott
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

There’s no doubt that with everything going on globally and nationally these days regarding COVID-19, spirits have been lowered, people are bored, and students miss their in person classes- something I personally didn’t expect to admit. As HC writer and friend Abby Poisson says, “We are adjusting to a new normal,” and I couldn’t agree more. Nonetheless, what I keep reminding myself is that while we can social distance, stay at home, and only enter public places for necessity, it appears as though this virus and our new “normal” are going to stick around for at least a couple more months. This is why I firmly believe we have to search for and find the positive. 

Here are a few guides to doing so that have helped me keep a smile on my face during these difficult times… 

• First off, I find that the news can be repetitive and saddening these days. This is why personally, I try to only watch it about once a day to get the necessary updates, and then turn it off and put on something lighter such as The Office or Parks & Recreation.

• In addition to watching Netflix, movies, and ample Tik Tkos throughout the day, I always find it a good idea to put my phone down (and away), and play some sort of game with my family members. Whether it’s cribbage with my parents, the board game Sorry with my brothers, or Scattegories with the whole family (which quite honestly may turn into a screaming/laughing match), there are plenty of options for everyone. Games keep your mind and brain active while bringing out a side of competitiveness that you might not know you had.

• If you’re feeling overwhelmed by schoolwork, or something is weighing heavily on your mind, take a break. I find that I’ve been doing a lot of stress-baking. My new favorite recipe is these delicious apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins… add a little bit of maple yogurt and fresh blueberries when they come out of the oven- YUM!

• Wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt all day long! I’m all for wanting to dress in a cute pair of jeans, an off the shoulder sweater, and my white high-top converse when going to class on campus, but now that I’m home and learning remotely, I am 100% taking advantage of the fact that I can be comfortable All. Day. Long.

While these are just a few tips that have helped ME stay positive during this unprecedented time, I encourage YOU to find your own positive. Maybe that means binge-watching Gossip Girl on Netflix, sleeping in until noon, or doing your makeup just for fun. Whatever! What matters is that you can try and see the glass half full because honestly speaking, this is how we will persevere right now.

Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts & Spanish double major with a Business Administration minor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, VT. Member of the Varsity Women's Tennis Team, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Honors Program, Founder's Society, Tour Guide, Book Award Recipient, and lector in the Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel. One of two NE10 student athlete reps. 3.96 cumulative GPA. Dean's List Honoree every semester.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.