This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s that time in the semester that we’ve all been dreading… midterm season. While there may only be two and a half weeks until spring break, it feels like those weeks will take seven years to pass. Professors are simultaneously trying to squeeze in exams, presentations, and paper due dates before we check out of college and studious mode for a week of (hopefully) relaxation and time spent with family and friends. Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is that in order to get to that week off, we have to grind now. To help, here are 10 of my tested tips to get through the fast-approaching “midterm szn.”

1. Prioritize sleep: A solid 8 hours will really help you grind through the day and allow you to be productive around 7 or 8 pm as opposed to staying up until 1 or 2 am!

2. Coffee: If you don’t drink coffee already, it’s time to start. That’s all I’ll say.

3. Call home: Give your lifelong friend, your mom, or your brother a call. It’s always refreshing to hear a voice from home; it reminds me of simpler times.

4. Go see your professors: If you’re overwhelmed, struggling, or have questions, PLEASE go see your professors during office hours or by an appointment time. They are there to help and want to do so! Also, it lets them know that you care about their class and your academic success. Who knows? Maybe that’ll turn an 89.5% into a 90%.

5. Candles: Aroma-therapy can be a really beautiful thing.

6. Exercise: Hit the gym, go on a run outside, or maybe do some yoga in your dorm room. This will leave you feeling productive and also re-energized.

7. Journal: Feeling frustrated or annoyed at everyone and everything around you? Write it down! I can’t explain how much this has helped me in times of stress. It’s an opportunity for you and your thoughts to be alone.

8. Put your phone down: Feeling distracted? Put your phone on the other side of your room, or zip it up in your backpack. Having it out of sight will do wonders.

9. Take 10 to 15 minute breaks: Listen to your body. If your brain is fried, take a quick break. However, be conscious of the time. Too much time away from the books or the laptop may leave you worse off than before.

10.  Just do your best: No one is perfect, there is no perfect guide through midterm season, and I’m not going to say that these tips will help you ace every test. However, I believe that if you give it your all, that’s the best you can do.

Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts & Spanish double major with a Business Administration minor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, VT. Member of the Varsity Women's Tennis Team, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Honors Program, Founder's Society, Tour Guide, Book Award Recipient, and lector in the Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel. One of two NE10 student athlete reps. 3.96 cumulative GPA. Dean's List Honoree every semester.
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.