Why It’s Okay to be Sensitive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

All my life I’ve been told that I am “too sensitive.”  I take the slightest criticism to heart, often find myself crying for others when they are going through a tough time, and even get highly emotional while watching shows like Stranger Things. Although it may seem a bit dramatic and silly, being sensitive is okay. It’s all right to have a lot of feelings, and it’s all right to express these emotions. Being sensitive is not something you should be ashamed of.

Many people often characterize sensitivity as a negative trait, saying this trait will not allow us to “survive in the real world” and it’ll make us “suffer” in life, but I think they’re wrong. We need to start appreciating the extra feelings we have, and stop viewing it as a negative trait. I remember I would always wish I had “thick skin,” and was not fazed by the criticism or emotions of others, but I’ve come to realize being sensitive actually aligns with many of my personality traits and it is what makes me who I am.

Being sensitive allows you to see and feel things on a deeper level, it makes you more aware of the world around you, it allows you to reflect often, and most importantly it shows your care and compassion for others. When someone may be feeling down, they know they can count on you to be there to listen to them and really connect with their emotions and what they’re going through. You may get emotional as well, feeling their pain and hurt, but it shows you care for them and you’re invested in them. If they are hurting, you are hurting as well and that is perfectly okay to show because you care for them and are just invested in the situation as they are.

Next time someone tells say to you “you’re being too sensitive and overdramatic,” ignore them. Don’t let them make you feel ashamed about a beautiful trait you hold. They may not understand of all the emotions you are feeling, but you don’t need them to understand. Instead, remember being sensitive and highly emotional IS okay and makes you who you are.

Writer for HerCampus at SLU.
Founder and former Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus chapter at Saint Louis University. Graduating in May 2020 with degrees in Public Health and Women's and Gender Studies. Committed to learning about and spreading awareness for a more self-aware public health field, intersectional feminism, and college radio. Retweet this bio and enter a drawing for a free smartphone!