This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

We’re reaching the final stretch of spring semester, and I think it’s safe to say that a lot of us are feeling burnt out. Maybe your classes were extra hard this time around, or you haven’t been getting eight hours of sleep. Maybe you’ve realized that this whole “life-balance” thing is a little bit harder to execute than you thought, and your weekends end up packed with class assignments, work and maybe something fun, too, if you make the time. I know I’m ready for a break this summer, and it seems like most of my friends are too.

Throughout the past few years, “burnout” has become a sort of buzzword, with anyone from teachers and doctors to CEOs and YouTubers citing burnout as a relevant issue in their life. Psychology Today defines burnout as “a state of chronic stress that leads to physical and emotional exhaustion, cynicism and detachment, and feelings of ineffectiveness and lack of accomplishment.” When we are exposed to high levels of stress for long periods of time without tangible ways of keeping ourselves balanced, it’s easy to fall into a cycle on autopilot, working non-stop just to keep up with the demands of the day.

Not only are professionals in high-stress positions experiencing burnout from overworking but so are the current generation of high school and college students. Rigorous course loads paired with the internal and external pressures to excel in every possible aspect of life are leaving students feeling burnt out before they even reach their careers. School systems may be educating us well to succeed in our careers, but are they setting us up for a fulfilling life?

We are reaching a point where it’s normal for people to feel burnt out. We push ourselves through school, work, and hundreds of activities until we reach a planned break—or unplanned breaking point—and give our bodies and minds a chance to rest. However, a little self-care night with a face mask and movie every six months isn’t going to cut it. There has to be a way to prevent burnout from being such a prevalent force in our lives, instead of simply passing through cycles of overworking and overall exhaustion. I wish I knew the answer–if I did, I wouldn’t be checking my countdown to summer app as I write this. The American culture as we know it is in dire need of restructuring, and we can start by de-normalizing burnout. Yes, many of us struggle with it, but no, that’s not a reason to diminish it as a problem.

I’m far from an expert on this topic, but I’ll leave you with a couple of my favorite little tips. First of all, get some sleep. On days when I feel like I’m running around non-stop, by the time it hits 9 p.m., I’m exhausted and unproductive. If you really want to put your time to good use, just go to bed. Next, make an effort to separate work from meals. Eating is not an option—it’s a necessity. So when you sit down for lunch or dinner, even if it’s only for 20 minutes, put your homework down for once and enjoy the company of your friends or the peacefulness of solitude. These can be the perfect little study breaks you need to power yourself through the rest of the day. Lastly, make sure there’s something in your routine that you look forward to. Whether it’s reading a book before bed or going for a morning walk, we have the time for everything we want to do. We just need to allow ourselves to take it. 

It takes time for individuals, and a culture in general, to shift away from the hustle and burnout and towards a more balanced lifestyle. Until then, though, take a deep breath, close your eyes and smile—because summer’s just around the corner!

A thrifting enthusiast studying Civil Engineering and Environmental Science at Saint Louis University. You can find her running, reading, cooking, and probably running again when the sun comes out.