This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I came into college as a biology major on the pre-med track, but it took about three chemistry lectures for me to realize that I couldn’t do this for the next four years. I knew that I needed to change my major, but I didn’t know how. And honestly, I was scared. I had spent the last four plus years of my life dedicated to the medical field and the idea of becoming a doctor. Completely changing my life’s track was a terrifying concept, and it took about two months for me to finally seek out help and change my major. I ended up changing my major to education, and I couldn’t be happier with my decision. However, switching your major is a major (pun intended) change in anyone’s life, so here are some tips and reminders for anyone who is thinking about making this change:

1. Remember that you are still finding yourself

You’ve spent the last 18 years with your parents, family, and hometown friends. Suddenly you are all on your own, making new friends and exploring ideas and perspectives that you may have never considered before. College is a very eye-opening experience where you are constantly learning new things and meeting different people, and accompanying this often comes self-discovery. College can reveal new interests and passions that may lead you to re-think your major and career choices, and that is A-OK.

2. Keep in mind you are choosing a path for the rest of your life

You ultimately choose a major because you want to pursue a career in that field. The goal is to find something you love and that you will enjoy doing for the rest of your life. After all, why would you endure and pay for four years of college just to end up with a job that you knew was not right for you all along?

3. Remember that you are not alone

Believe it or not, changing your major is nothing new. About 80% of college students end up changing their major at least once while at school. Counselors are so used to this stuff that they even have plans for students who transfer into new programs to ensure that they can still graduate on time. There are also career counseling services with questionnaires and online programs to help you find the best fit for you.

4. Don’t worry about what people will think

It is much easier said than done but try not to worry about what others will think. Changing your major doesn’t mean that you couldn’t handle the classes required for your old major or that you’re indecisive with life choices. It means that you know yourself and what you want, and you are willing to act on it. That in itself is one of the smartest and bravest things you can do in life, so go you!

Texan writing for Saint Louis Universty. Majoring in Middle School Education. Loves dogs, coffee, Marvel movies, and the color yellow.