body images 2019 05 19 60594562 444313189694375 1301123981130072064 njpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 05 19 60594562 444313189694375 1301123981130072064 njpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Three New Alternative Therapies Everyone Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for alternative medicine. Aromatherapy, meditation, yoga, herbalism. I’ve tried it all. My hunt for the perfect wellness concoction was inspired by my mother’s obsession with essential oils and obstinate refusal to see a doctor unless it was an emergency. Ever since I became conscious of my health habits, I have had this intense desire to try any—and all—possible alternative therapies that can support my love for holistic medicine and improve my overall health. Recently, I have done some research on what practices are becoming more popular and have the most positive reviews. 

There is a long withstanding stigma that alternative medicine is pseudoscience and not as effective as conventional treatment. But, contrary to popular belief, there are a wide range of therapies offered that have origins dating back thousands of years. While more research is needed to gain a better understanding of all the potential benefits of each type of alternative therapy, it’s reassuring to know alternative medicine is slowly gaining acceptance within the medical and wellness community. There are traditional alternative therapies such as chiropractic care, massage therapy and acupuncture that some of you may already be familiar with. Most of these therapies are labeled as complementary, meaning they are used alongside conventional medical treatment. Listed below are some high-tech, emerging complementary therapies that everyone should try at least once in their life**. 

**Each of these alternative medical treatments mentioned is 100% safe when used properly and always includes varying levels of care to match specific needs. But as always, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider to determine if this treatment is right for you.

Cryotherapy 

Cryotherapy, also known as cold therapy, is a treatment technique that exposes the body to subzero temperatures. This type of therapy can be delivered to one area or the entire body. The more common whole-body form of cryotherapy consists of immersing the entire body in extremely cold air for several minutes (usually between 3 to 4 minutes). The main benefits of this alternative treatment are reduced inflammation and pain relief of muscles or joints. This therapy is also used to treat mood disorders and skin conditions like atopic dermatitis. 

Halotherapy 

Halotherapy, also called salt therapy, is the use of salt for different treatments. The dry method of halotherapy uses man-made salt rooms where users inhale and are completely immersed in microparticles of salt. This type of alternative therapy has been around for hundreds of years before being recognized as a form of therapeutic medicine. Sessions can last anywhere between 10 to 45 minutes. Common respiratory illnesses that can be treated by salt therapy include asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), chronic bronchitis, sinus infections, sleep apnea and allergies. This therapy is also said to treat skin conditions such as dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema and acne. 

Floatation Therapy

Floatation Therapy is a form of restricted environmental stimulation therapy (REST) that uses a dim, soundproof tank filled with a foot or so of saltwater. Heated to a comfortable temperature, the high levels of salt in the water allow you to float weightlessly while encouraging your mind to enter into a deeply relaxed state. Some benefits found by users include muscle relaxation, improved focus and concentration, better sleep, a decrease in pain and decreased stress and anxiety. Sessions typically last for one hour.

I am convinced that everyone should give alternative medicine a try. We’re lucky to live in a period where more holistic approaches are gaining popularity and are widely accessible. So next time you talk with your healthcare provider, consider asking about alternative treatments. Branch out, try something new, and find what works best for you!

Originally from Champaign, IL. Faith is a senior at SLU studying Health Sciences with a minor in Urban Poverty Studies. She has a passion for holistic medicine and good food. In her spare time she likes to read, go on hikes, run and take 3 hour naps.