rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

I Am Shakti: Your New Mental Health Resource

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

If you have ever been told that your struggles with mental health are “all in your head,” I Am Shakti might be the organization for you. Translating to “I Am Power” in Hindi, I Am Shakti (IAS) is a Chicago-based organization that focuses on ending the stigma surrounding mental health, specifically in the South Asian community. This year, IAS became established in St. Louis, led by 10 SLU students of Indian backgrounds, myself included. When I heard about I Am Shakti’s mission to promote awareness of mental health issues and normalize them, I was immediately intrigued. There is an especially strong disbelief and distaste for mental health care in the Indian community, but IAS is open to people of all ethnicities. 

IAS had their first St. Louis event last April, which was a “Chai and Chat” that introduced the organization with some discussions, snacks, and games. About 30 SLU students attended, and each person got to participate in meaningful conversations about any stigma surrounding mental health in their own lives. At the end, everyone got to fill out and take a picture with a whiteboard that said “I Am ____, I Am Shakti,” filling in a word that empowers them. The event was very successful, especially for it being the first STL-based meeting. People of all backgrounds were able to connect over their frustrations and personal stories. 

I Am Shakti’s next event is Saturday, November 16th, and will be a mental health conference held at Washington University’s campus in conjunction with their Asian-Pacific American Medical Student Association. This conference will aim to introduce IAS to a wider community in St. Louis by having guest speakers, a student panel, and small workshops to educate people about how to normalize mental health. It is open and free for any SLU or WashU student, but registration is required in advance. For more information about this conference, please follow I AM Shakti- St. Louis Network on Facebook or @iamshakti_stl on Instagram.

My friends and I have big ideas for the future of I Am Shakti, and we hope that you want to help in the fight to end the stigma surrounding mental health. If you ever feel like you are alone in your struggles, just remember that you are Shakti; you are Power. 

Nikita Kohli is a sophomore at SLU studying Biostatistics on the pre-med track. She loves watching makeup videos on Youtube, eating pizza, and playing with her dog, Sammy.