This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It’s finally fall! The days of pre-season pumpkin spice lattes are over, and it’s time to eat all the fall foods. Pumpkin, apple, chai, and all the cozy foods are on my radar this year. If you’re a pumpkin lover like me, I highly recommend trying an iced chai latte with pumpkin cold foam from Starbucks, the pumpkin pie concrete from Ted Drewe’s, and a pumpkin pie Perfect Bar for a healthier option. Even though pumpkin spice everything is all over, sometimes all I want is to get creative in my own kitchen with fall recipes. Baking isn’t the easiest thing to do in a dorm, but I found this super easy and yummy healthier pumpkin chocolate chip mug cake. All you need is a microwave and a spoon to enjoy fall in a mug! Enjoy, pumpkin lovers!

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:

3 tbsp pumpkin puree

1 egg

1 tbsp milk of choice

½ tbsp maple syrup or honey

¼ tsp vanilla extract

¼ all purpose flour (can be substituted with gluten free ap flour!)

1 tsp baking powder

½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon works too)

Dash of cinnamon

Pinch of sea salt

Chocolate chips 

WHAT TO DO:

1. Whisk together the pumpkin, egg, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth in a mug.

2. Stir in dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms, then stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Microwave for 2 minutes then allow to cool for a few minutes.

4. Top with optional cream cheese glaze or more chocolate chips.

OPTIONAL CREAM CHEESE GLAZE:

Mix together 1 tbsp cream cheese (vegan or regular), a splash of maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon, and as much as needed to thin of milk of choice in a bowl.

This recipe was found on a blog with many more healthy and fun recipes! Check it out!

An Illinois native majoring in Nutrition and Dietetics with a passion for all things health and wellness. A big fan of local coffee shops, traveling, and creating new Spotify playlists.