A Friendly Reminder That You’re Worth Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Hey. Thank you for existing. Thank you for loving others even though you may not fully love yourself. Thank you for getting out of bed on the hard days. Thank you for being strong when your mind tricks you into thinking you are weak. Thank you for being you.  Sometimes the world is unkind. People you love may pass away, you might be diagnosed with a mental or physical illness, a family member may struggle with an addiction, or you might feel lost and unsure about what the future holds. Struggle is, unfortunately, an inevitable aspect of being human, and that sucks. However, acknowledging the universal nature of struggle does not make the experience of your individual adversity more bearable, manageable, painless, or straightforward. Hardship manifests differently in everyone, and therefore there is no “correct” way to deal with whatever you are going through at this moment.  You are not alone. I know this may sound cliche, but it is so incredibly accurate. People are not always good at expressing how much they care about you, but I promise you are more loved than you will ever know. It may seem easier to deal with your struggles in solitude, but this is a dangerous habit. Let people in. Your friends and family will always love you, even the messy parts, but you must be willing to open the door when they come knocking.  You deserve better than this. The stuckness that you feel right now is only temporary, and although this fact doesn’t alleviate your current pain, it might provide a beacon of hope. You have so much to look forward to, such as seeing your best friend get married, falling in love with a new city, and landing your first real adult job. While the world is sometimes unkind, it is also sometimes beautiful, wonderful, and gentle; you just have to stick around long enough to see both sides.  You are brave, important, and irreplaceable, and I know you will get through this. Keep loving others deeply, giving off positive energy, and setting the world on fire in the unique way that only you can.  Hang in there.  

Tori Lothian is a sophomore student at Saint Louis University, majoring in Social Work and minoring in Urban Poverty Studies.