Five Reasons We Need Positivity In Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

We all know those people who are no fun to be around; those who are constantly complaining. Maybe you are one of those people and don’t understand the benefits of being positive. In order to really live life to the fullest, it’s going to take some happiness and positive thinking. Positivity can help your life in the following ways:

1. You will be way less stressed out.

When we are thinking negatively it tends to have a domino effect. Within a matter of a second, one negative thought can turn into ten. Those ten things are now causing you a lot of unnecessary stress. Your mind is working at a million miles per hour trying to support whatever negative reasoning you may have. When you begin to focus on the good those stressors are removed. Try to look for the silver lining in everything.  

2. People will find you more attractive.

Looks can only take you so far until the personality comes in. No one enjoys sitting next to someone or being friends with someone who is just miserable. It isn’t fun. When you are positive, people are naturally drawn to you. You may even find yourself helping others find their positive side too.  

3. You will become more successful.

A positive attitude leads to a positive perspective. Small upsets or roadblocks will not affect you as much anymore. With a positive attitude, you are more capable of working through them and move on. Negative feelings become overwhelming and will distract from work. Positivity will lead to a more successful day and eventually life.  

4. You will begin to have more meaningful connections with others.

When you start to see the good in everyday life, you also see the good in other people. You are more willing to let people in and give them a chance to show you who they really are. Positive comments will lead to positive connections. Instead of bonding with someone over something that you both hate, you can bond over a similar interest or passion.  

5. You will live a longer and more fulfilling life.

You will create meaning in your everyday life by being positive. Studies have even shown that happy people will live longer.  

Doing something as simple as cutting out negativity can make such a huge impact in yourself and the world around you. If you are struggling to remember all of the ways it is benefiting you!

Writer for Her Campus at SLU. Freshman, Studying Psychology and minoring in Women's and Gender studies. Involved in Kappa Delta, Active Minds, and Rainbow Alliance. Passionate about women's rights, mental health, Dobermans, and slushies.