This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

This past April, I embarked on my first no-spend challenge. For 30 days, I challenged myself to spend no money on anything outside the necessities of rent, groceries, and gas. The hardest part of this challenge was finding things to do that would allow me to spend time with my friends in a way that was both fun and free. Even though I am no longer taking part in the no-spend challenge, I find myself going to the spots I frequented when my budget was tight. If you’re also looking for free things to do as a college student in St. Louis, I have just the list for you!

1. Gateway Arch

Located in the heart of downtown St. Louis, the Gateway Arch is a landmark destination for most tourists traveling to St. Louis. While there is an admission fee to take the tram to the top of the arch, there’s still plenty to do for free. The park surrounding the arch is the perfect place for a photoshoot with friends, or a picnic enjoying the views of the Mississippi River. 

2. Forest Park

Forest Park is a 1,300-acre urban park, perfect for anyone looking to explore St. Louis’ beautiful greenery. You can walk or bike along the park’s trails, or unwind by the park’s lakes or gardens. If you have time, consider visiting the St. Louis Art Museum and the St. Louis Science Center, which are both free and located in Forest Park.

3. Saint louis zoo

Ranked the 8th best US zoo in a national poll, the Saint Louis Zoo is unique in that it offers free admission to all visitors. While add-on experiences, such as petting stingrays or feeding the giraffes do come at an extra cost, many experiences within the zoo are free. My favorite free exhibits include the Bird House and Garden, the Polar Bear Point and the Hippo Harbor. 

4. Tower grove farmers market

The Tower Grove Farmers’ Market is open for business every Saturday morning from May to October in Tower Grove Park. This farmers’ market offers a wide variety of items from locally grown produce to handmade crafts. While it may seem counterintuitive to go to a market and not buy anything, the Tower Grove Farmers’ Market is a great place to walk around and get to know some St. Louis local businesses all while enjoying the beauty that is Tower Grove Park. 

5. Central Public Library

Built in 1912, the Central Public Library is located in the heart of downtown, and is only a five-minute drive from the Gateway Arch. As a SLU student, I have access to our on-campus library for free. However, the interior of the Central Library is so ornate and beautiful that it became the perfect replacement for the coffee shop study sessions that I would often have with my friends. The Central Library is a nice way to make a study session more exciting, while still being free. 

These activities helped me find ways to socialize with my friends in a way that did not involve spending money on food or drinks. Even though I am no longer partaking in the no-spend challenge, my friends and I still frequent these spots when we want to spend time together. These St. Louis attractions might be free, but that does not make them any less fun!