This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

“Don’t Worry Darling” has been a hot topic even before the film’s movie theater debut. 

Going into this movie, I wasn’t really sure what to expect based on the star-studded cast and the questionable publicity the film received due to the alleged drama between the actors

“Don’t Worry Darling” stars Florence Pugh as Alice, Harry Styles as her husband, Jack, director Olivia Wilde as Bunny and Chris Pine as Frank. Tensions are rumored to have been high between these actors. Between missed press appearances, alleged on-set screaming matches, the video that circulated of Styles appearing to spit at Pine and Pugh’s reported unhappiness with the on-set romance between Wilde and Styles, the drama surrounding the film alone was good enough reason for me to see this movie in theaters. I was also excited, as always, to see Florence Pugh in action. 

The movie is a psychological thriller, and for those familiar with Pugh’s performance in “Midsommar,” you will not be disappointed, at least by her acting. As always, Florence Pugh delivers a phenomenal performance, pulling the audience into a whole different world as we root for Alice and try to make sense of what exactly is happening on-screen. Despite all the rumors of strained working relationships, the actors’ on-screen performances did not seem to be affected, with Pugh securing her spotlight. The actress’s dramatic performance is outstanding and emotional, a highlight of the movie. 

Pugh sets a high bar, and next to her, there were times when co-star Styles’ acting seemed to fall short, but overall he pulled his weight next to industry stars, which is admirable. I’ve seen and heard mixed reviews of Styles’ performance, but his star presence only adds to the already glamorous cast. 

The film is set in a 1950s-themed community called the Victory Project, and the wardrobe, hair and makeup departments certainly did their part to set the scene. “Don’t Worry Darling” features excellent use of color to convey the mood, and the costumes for events like dinner parties and shopping trips really highlight the unnerving atmosphere that the thriller is trying to achieve. 

I have seen a lot of negative reviews for this movie, from journalists and critics alike, but it seems like some, mostly male, viewers are missing the overarching critique of the patriarchy in the film. “Don’t Worry Darling” may be predictable at some points, but as the end credits rolled, I was deep in thought about gender norms, perceptions of reality and the way our world reflected the reality portrayed on screen. The film’s fast-paced climax, twist reveal and dramatic ending leave viewers feeling unsettled and perhaps a bit confused—it’s a movie that demands a rewatch to catch some of the finer details. 

Based on box office numbers from opening weekend, the film seems to be performing well with its intended audience. Yes, “Don’t Worry Darling” leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and the ending leaves the viewer questioning what they just watched for the past 123 minutes, but it seems clear that this is exactly what the film is trying to do. The plot is not supposed to tie everything up neatly with a bow—that’s the point of psychological thrillers. Not every new release is going to be groundbreaking, but with the target audience being younger and mostly female, it is not exactly surprising that many middle-aged male critics are missing the appeal. 

“Don’t Worry Darling” may not be the movie of the year, but for fans of Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, dystopian films or feminist dramas, I highly recommend giving it a watch. The movie is enjoyable, thought-provoking and features an excellent cast. Be prepared for some disturbing visuals, and be prepared to question reality, but darlings, there’s no need to worry about this new release being a flop. 

Hi! I'm the senior editor of HCSLU, and a junior studying English with minors in Psychology and Communications who loves traveling, poetry, good pasta, and making the world a better place. I was born in Ukraine and currently spend my free time looking for cool hiking spots, trying new foods around Saint Louis, and going thrifting with my friends.