This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

A couple weeks ago, I did my first Peloton yoga workout. And I loved it. I immediately told some of my friends about this new fix of mine, and I was shocked to find out how touchy of a subject yoga is among Christians. After looking up various articles about it, I realized that some sources claim that yoga opens a person up to the devil. The funny thing is that I felt the exact opposite when I did that first workout. This held true for every workout since. 

For me, yoga is a time to rest and connect with the Lord. I’m still exercising, but I don’t leave the mat feeling like a sweaty mess. I feel the good kind of sore instead. I have started to view yoga as a new way for me to connect physically with the Lord. I know that sounds kind of weird at first, but the Bible calls us to love Jesus with all our strength. Check out Luke 10:27– 

“The man answered, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” 

I am interpreting this “strength” that I am supposed to love Jesus with as my body. When I do certain yoga poses, I try to picture myself reaching up to heaven, not just the ceiling. I picture myself reaching out to take God’s hand, not just stretching my side. I don’t care if people judge for me for doing yoga because that is just one of the many ways I connect with God.  

If you’re wanting to give yoga a try, I encourage you to check out this YouTube channel for some awesome Christian yoga workouts! Also, don’t worry about what other people think. Do what makes you and Jesus happy.

Daughter of the Chosen One, coffee enthusiast, macaron lover, and smiley friend.
Amasil is the President for SLU's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Biology major at Saint Louis University. Amasil enjoys writing poetry about the thoughts and concerns she has in her head, they are therapeutic in a way. Amasil loves goats, eating twice her weight in chocolate, and baking french macarons.