This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

With the temperature dropping and the leaves changing color, it finally feels like fall! As we end October, it’s hard to believe that 2021 is wrapping up. To me, fall symbolizes our ability to change as we start new habits and discard old ones alongside the start of the school year. If the leaves can change, and the weather can change, then we can change too! The start of this cozy season has many of us compiling the standard fall bucket list, which typically consists of pumpkin patches, apple picking, baking pies, and bonfires— really anything that gives off wholesome vibes and lets us break out our new sweater collection. 

Given that fall is associated with change, I’d like to think that also applies to other aspects of our lives such as our individual growth, friendships, and other goals we’re working towards. Fall symbolizes our need to let go of what no longer serves us. Sometimes you have to come to terms that certain things in your life just aren’t working out as you hoped, regardless of whether you gave it 110% of your effort. Whether it’s a friendship, career path, or unrealistic New Year’s goal that lasted a week, we all have those roadblocks that don’t seem to budge no matter how hard we push. As heartbreaking as it is, you can only push so hard before exhausting all your effort toward something that’s not working in your favor. 

Just remember, it is a blessing to have high standards and value yourself enough to know what you deserve. And I applaud you for making those difficult decisions that will help you get your life back on track. Everyone’s journey and struggles are different, and it takes an incredible amount of courage to truly reevaluate the changes that need to be made in your life to help you be the best version of yourself. 

With that being said, take the time during this season to think about what you can change in your life to make you content and what you may need to move on from. Because as I mentioned earlier, if the leaves can change, then so can you. 

FRIENDS lover (the TV show and the social thing), US history fanatic, world traveler, and can typically be found eating spinach artichoke dip and tacos when not drowning in pre-med studies