A Bollywood Extravaganza: A Guide to Bollywood Rom-Com’s to Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Are you tired of watching the same classic rom-coms every Valentine’s day? Are you looking for a new kind of movie to watch with your gals? These Bollywood movies might just be the perfect pick for you! 

Bollywood is known to make some of the most swoon-worthy romances known to man. They will make you cry, laugh, dance and everything in between. Whether you are re-watching or watching for the first time, these movies will for sure hit the spot as the perfect Valentine’s day rom-com watch.

“Hasee Toh Phasee” (2014)

“Hasee Toh Phasee” follows Nikhil (Sidharth Malhotra), who is about to marry his fiancee, Karishma. Weeks away from their wedding Karishma’s weird and quirky sister Meeta (Parineeti Chopra) comes to town and Nikhil is tasked with keeping Meeta from ruining their wedding. 

This is one of those classic Bollywood rom-coms that you will want to re-watch over and over again. You can watch this movie on Netflix. 

“Dostana” (2008)

“Dostana” is a story of Sam (Abhishek Bachchan) and Kunal (John Abraham) who try to win over a landlady, Neha (Priyanka Chopra). However, she only wants women tenants, so the men hilariously pose as a gay couple in order to fall in love with her. 

This movie will leave your stomach and mouth aching from all the laughing you will do while watching. This movie is more comedy than romance but definitely worth a watch this Valentine’s Day on Netflix.

“Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani” (2013)

“Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani” follows a group of four friends who all go on a trekking trip. On this trip Naina (Deepika Padukone) falls for ex-classmate Bunny (Ranbir Kapoor), who wants to travel the world and doesn’t plan on settling down or getting married. Years later, their paths cross again. Will their paths crossing after all those years rekindle their love, or will Bunny jet off to his next adventure and leave Naina behind yet again? 

This movie is a classic Bollywood movie. It has the best mix of romance, comedy, music and acting that will keep you hooked to the screen. You will want to re-watch this movie over and over again after you watch it for the first time. You can watch this movie on Netflix.

“Luka Chuppi” (2019)

Luka Chuppi is the story of Guddu (Kartik Aaryan), a television reporter, and Rashmi (Kriti Sanon), a politician’s daughter who fall in love and want to live together before getting married. They go to a small town for 20 days without their families knowing and live together as a married couple to understand what it will be like. However, their relationship is complicated when there are unexpected events and their families become involved.

This movie is absolutely hilarious and will leave you laughing the entire movie. You can watch this movie on Netflix.

“Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar” (2023)

Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar follows Mickey (Ranbir Kapoor), who helps couples break up to make some extra money. However, unexpectedly, Mickey  finds himself falling for Tinni (Shraddha Kapoor), an independent career oriented woman. Can Tinni fit into Mickey’s family? Can she deal with their closeness?

This movie has some unexpected twists and turns that will leave you laughing and unexpectedly hooked. If you are looking for a different kind of movie and a truly unique rom-com, definitely try this one out this Valentine’s day on Netflix.

No matter who you are watching these movies with, these films will leave you with lots of laughs and feel good romance that is perfect for Valentine’s Day!!

A writer for HerCampus in the Saint Louis University chapter.