Top 10 February Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Kick off the spring semester with these not-to-miss local and national events. Stay warm!

Saratoga Winterfest. Feb.1-3, free admission, in downtown Saratoga. Enjoy the sights of our college town as it transforms into a winter wonderland. Enjoy snowshoeing, free yoga classes and of course, chowderfest all weekend long.

NY Philharmonic Principal Brass Qintet. Feb.2 8pm, $5 tickets. Skidmore welcomes this renowned quintet to Zankel for a guaranteed inspired performance. Take advantage of your cultured side and fill your ears with something other than your neighbor’s Dubstep.

Chowderfest. Feb.2 at downtown participating restaurants. If you’re a foodie like my friends and me, then your mouth will be watering when you try all of the amazing chowders that restaurants around town come up with. You can pick and choose the soups that sound yummiest to you, plus it’s a great way to get our of the dorms with your friends while eating something warm enough to stop you from freezing.

Superbowl XLVII. Feb.3 6:30pm. Even if you’re not a football fan, or not rooting for either of the final teams, the superbowl is still a favorite American event. It’s a night (or entire day celebration) to really feel part of the Skidmore community and chow down on guilty goods like wings and chips—what could be better than that?

Comfest. Feb.8-9 from 7-9pm. Tickets on sale Feb. 4 for $15 weekend pass. If you enjoy laughing, then this is the event for you. This weekend features some of the best college and professional comedy groups pulling out their most hilarious acts. Make sure you do your homework in advance though because you will not want to miss a minute of the show.

55th Grammy Awards. Feb.10 at 8pm on CBS. Whereas most film and TV award shows are filled with polite clapping and melodramatic 30-second video clips, the Grammys feature some of the best musical acts of the year, not to mention amazing outfits. And with some of pop culture’s biggest divas on the guest list, you know there is bound to be drama.

Wine Tasting at Boca Bistro. Feb.12 4:30pm. Boca Bistro has quickly become a Skidmore and Saratoga local’s favorite, so don’t miss this wine and beer tasting during happy hour over your favorite appetizers (eggplant fries, anyone?).

Valentine’s Day. Feb. 14! This holiday may be stereotyped as a sappy, hallmark-run holiday for only the happiest of couples, but that doesn’t have to be the case. Grab your best girlfriends for a movie night or maybe even a gift swap! You can be festive and keep your spirits up no matter what your relationship status. 

2nd Annual Saratoga Beer Week. Feb.19-23. Over 30 establishments around town will host beer enthusiast events. Check back with Saratoga.com for more information on participating bars and restaurants for a week of tastings.

85th Oscars. Feb.24 7pm on ABC. February is packed with events that can be enjoyed right at home in front of your TV, which is great for Saratoga weather! Grab your friends and throw a theme party or just admire the fashion during red carpet coverage.

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.