Her Campus: What is Skidmore Unplugged?
Skidmore Unplugged: Skidmore Unplugged is an annual energy-conservation competition designed to promote energy-conscious behavior through education. The program promotes competition among campus residence halls to achieve the greatest reduction in electricity usage and to win a water-bottle refilling station for the hall that succeeds. Skidmore Unplugged is one of the largest campus-wide sustainability events at Skidmore. It is organized by the Sustainability Reps (S-Reps), in collaboration with a number of other student groups, including Lively Lucy’s, Hayat, Awkward Kids Talking, Outing Club, Environmental Action Club, and many more. Many exciting events are held throughout the competition. Past events include a meditation workshop in partnership with the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life and One Roof Saratoga, an acoustic concert and potluck dinner at Falstaff’s for Lively Lucy’s Unplugged, and a costume clothes swap and s’mores on Case Green for “S’morbid.”
1. Turn off or put your computer to sleep when not in use.
2. Replace an inefficient incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb.
3. Unplug appliances when not in use – and use a powerstrip to unplug appliances all at once.
4. Only do laundry when you have a full load.
5. Open blinds during the day to let in daylight and then close them at night.
6. Read a book instead of watching TV.
7. Turn off the lights!
8. If you are able, take the stairs.
9. Study in groups.
10. Reach out to your Eco-Rep for additional ideas!