Skidmore Unplugged

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Her Campus: What is Skidmore Unplugged?

Skidmore Unplugged: Skidmore Unplugged is an annual energy-conservation competition designed to promote energy-conscious behavior through education. The program promotes competition among campus residence halls to achieve the greatest reduction in electricity usage and to win a water-bottle refilling station for the hall that succeeds. Skidmore Unplugged is one of the largest campus-wide sustainability events at Skidmore. It is organized by the Sustainability Reps (S-Reps), in collaboration with a number of other student groups, including Lively Lucy’s, Hayat, Awkward Kids Talking, Outing Club, Environmental Action Club, and many more. Many exciting events are held throughout the competition. Past events include a meditation workshop in partnership with the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life and One Roof Saratoga, an acoustic concert and potluck dinner at Falstaff’s for Lively Lucy’s Unplugged, and a costume clothes swap and s’mores on Case Green for “S’morbid.”

Her Campus: How does the competition work?

Skidmore Unplugged: Each hall is individually metered so students can now see how much electricity each residence hall is using. Over the 21 day period, each student can see which hall has reduced their energy consumption by the greatest percentage. The overall goal is for students to learn about ways to decrease their electricity consumption and to have fun! During the 2013 competition, residents collectively saved 6,218 kW, enough to power Kimball for 10 days!

Her Campus: What do the “winners” recieve?

Skidmore Unplugged: In the past, prizes have included: a water bottle refilling station for the winning residence hall, free burrito cards to Chipotle for participants, entry into a raffle for gift certificates from local businesses such as Uncommon Grounds, Ben & Jerry’s, Esperanto’s, Putnam Market, Skidmore Shop, and Sushi Thai, and the name of the winning hall engraved on the Skidmore Unplugged trophy, which is permanently on display in Case Center.

Her Campus: What are some energy saving tips?

Skidmore Unplugged: 

1.  Turn off or put your computer to sleep when not in use.

2.  Replace an inefficient incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent bulb. 

3.  Unplug appliances when not in use – and use a powerstrip to unplug appliances all at once.

4.  Only do laundry when you have a full load.

5.  Open blinds during the day to let in daylight and then close them at night.

6.  Read a book instead of watching TV.

7.  Turn off the lights!

8.  If you are able, take the stairs.

9.  Study in groups.

10.  Reach out to your Eco-Rep for additional ideas! 

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.