Sara Pion ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Name: Sara Pion

Year: 2017

Hometown: Lexington, MA

Major(s): Business and French

Her Campus: Tell me about your Upside Down Fitness Instagram Account.

Sara Pion: So my Upsidedown_fitness instagram is a fun way for me to keep myself accountable for staying active and working on my yoga practice. I post my workouts to give others ideas of what they can do as well!

Her Campus: What inspired you to start this account?

Sara: Last year my friends gave me the idea to start the account because i was always doing handstands anywhere I could and I’m a generally hyperactive person so I got creative at the gym with the workouts i did. I always admired the insta-yogis and fitness ladies that I unabashedly stalked, so i thought why not join them!

Her Campus: What surprised you the most about being Instagram?

Sara: What surprised me the most about being on Instagram as a yogi was how huge a community it is. There are women from all over the world who are inspiring each other and pushing each other to get healthy, move forward in their yoga practice and live healthier lives! Its so cool! I have only been received with positivity so far in my short run as an “insta-yogi” so I think that’s really fun.

Her Campus: How has yoga changed your life?

Sara: My dad actually introduced me to yoga when i quit soccer my sophomore year of high school. He had been doing hot yoga for about a year and thought that it would be something I’d be interested in. At first, I was really competitive in the classes, trying to be more flexible than everyone else because I was used to trying to beat another team. But by doing yoga i learned that its not about who can stand on their head or who can bend in freakish ways, its about how your body feels before, during and after yoga. If you feel good after a practice without having to put your foot behind your head, then congrats you’re a yogi. Its that simple and I find that awesome.

Her Campus: Tell me why we should ALL follow you!

Sara: You definitely DO NOT have to follow my instagram because of this article. But if you would like to expand your yoga practice, find some good workouts and get bombarded with the occasional sassy-inspirational quote, I’m here for you!

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.