Boca Bistro: Restaurant Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

New to the Saratoga restaurant scene this year is tapas restaurant, Boca Bistro located on 384 Broadway, near Uncommon Grounds. Boca belongs to the same management family as other Saratoga favorites, Forno Bistro and Chianti. We love the addition of Spanish cuisine to the already quaint downtown scene, and were especially pleased with Boca Bistro’s quality of food and service.

Boca Bistro provided us with a delicious evening of tapas, a lively and fun atmosphere, and fast, friendly service. Upon being seated, our welcoming waitress gave us salted rosemary olives soaked in a decadent olive oil, along with warm, fresh bread. We were puzzled by what to order due to the array of yummy choices, so we settled on an assortment of appetizers to share. Our selections included Pan con Tomate with Manchego cheese, Croquetas Jamon, Ensalada Mixta, Tortilla Espanola, and Calameres Fritos.

The service was fast, and the presentation was impeccable. Our dishes looked so colorful and appealing that we almost didn’t want to eat them! The Pan con Tomate with Manchego consisted of toasted bread with a tomato spread, a thick high-quality ham, and warm manchego cheese to top it off. The croqueta were the upscale cousin of our beloved Spa’s mozerella sticks with ham inside, while the ensalada consisted of crunchy, fresh spinach and veggies with a light drizzle of olive oil and balsamic.

The Calamares Fritos were good but not to die for—just your basic fried calamari. However, the Fritos came with a delicious cream sauce that we almost asked to bring home! The Tortilla Espanola was the only thing we weren’t completely pleased with. After a semester abroad, Maggie expected a traditional Spanish-style tortilla like her host-mom made, which has a different consistency and a more distinct flavor than Boca’s.

Thankfully, the check wasn’t too appalling and we will definitely be returning for a girl’s night in the near future. While it isn’t as inexpensive as bagels and coffee at Uncommon, Boca Bistro is worth the splurge for a fun night out in Saratoga.

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.