burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Alessandra Canario

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Her Campus: How would you describe your style?Alessandra: Bold, humorous, individual. I only wear vintage clothing that is 30 years or older (with the exception of some hand-me-downs from my mom). I try to only collect vintage with a lot of personality. When I shop I look for clothing that looks like they had previously belonged to an eccentric, along with pieces that I can wear satirically, or reflect upon a whimsical trend that is no longer popular. Examples of this might include my collection of 1970s disco two-piece suits, my 1950s circle skirts, and my WWII navel top that I wear although I am a woman and with flower-child bellbottoms. I try to express my own individuality in dress by accessorizing my opinion about a historical period or by wearing clothing that I can empathize with for its black sheep quality.

Her Campus: Has your style always been what it is now?

Alessandra: No, but I have almost always been known for having bold style. My mom is a an ex-model makeup artist and her mom, a hair stylist. Both credit their care for self presentation to their identities as proud Mexican-Americans. I grew up pulling out pages from my mom’s old fashion magazines and watching bridal fashion week from her bed. Before I could dress myself I had grown accustom to frequently receiving compliments for “how well my mother dressed my sister, and I.” As I grew older and gained more control in dressing myself, the more eccentric my outfits became. I used to be picked on a lot for being “different,” for a number of reasons, and I learned to embrace my feeling of otherness through clothes. Needless to say my family was very supportive (to an extent). When I was in 5th grade I declared Betsy Johnson was my idol and was convinced that I was going to become a fashion designer. I have memories of wearing kimonos over skinny jeans and self patched converse and being decked out in sequins for 60% of middle school. I started wearing vintage clothing in 8th grade when I realized I liked history as much as I liked fashion. I stopped buying modern clothing by 10th with my first job in the vintage industry. I started off only wearing clothing from the 1970s because I had developed a sense of identity with those involved with social movements of the time. To this day for these reasons I primarily wear 1970s clothing with an extended collection through the Victorian period.

Her Campus: Who are your style icons?

Alessandra: Cher, Penelope Tree, Janis Joplin, Diana Vreeland, Iris Apfel

Her Campus: Do you have a favorite place to shop?

Alessandra: Where I work! Another Man’s Treasure in Jersey City.

Her Campus: What is the one accessory or article of clothing you can’t live without?

Alessandra: My cowboy boots! They were a hand-me-down from the cowboy boot shop she worked at part time where she met my dad.

I keep an Instagram to try and share my finds and inspirations and often conduct photoshoots to artistically bring them to life for the page @allybirdvintage.

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.