jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Things You Can Do To Keep Healthy and Motivated During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Finals week can be extremely stressful on both the body and mind, and with everyone getting sick it is tough to stay in tip-top shape. Here are some quick and easy tips to help you keep your head in the game.

1. Drink lots of fluids, and not just coffee. Water is your best friend during finals and will help flush out any germs that you may catch. The more water you drink, the better your body will function. If you want to still keep up the caffeine intake, then try green or black tea instead of coffee.

2. Eat healthy, but delicious, snacks. Treat yourself once you finish that 15 paged paper or are ready to take that test head on. You’ve been working hard and have dedicated a lot of time, so you deserve a reward. Instead of eating the whole bag of chips along with that hummus, try swapping them out with sliced cucumbers or peppers. They both have the crunch of a chip, but also come with health benefits.

3. While you’re studying or editing your paper, slather on a facemask. Whether or not you’re prone to stress breakouts, your skin will thank you no matter what. This will make your tasks seem a little less stressful and your skin will thank you.

4. While you might laugh at the idea, exercise is something that can really help with your focus. It is a lot of work you have ahead of you, and it might be hard to focus on just one task. Taking 20 minutes out of your day to go for a nice walk or jog could really benefit you.

5. Try out some meditations. A lot of people think that you need hours to meditate, but in reality, you only need a couple of minutes. There are tons of different types of meditation, all of which are on the Internet. Just search “5 minute meditations” and your world will completely change for the better.

6. Everyone has to eat, so try your best to schedule a meal with a friend. Even if it’s only 30 minutes, it will allow your brain a little break from your work and will give you a recharge for when you get back to the books.

7. Be kind to yourself, no matter what you’re feeling. There are a lot of things going on during finals, so be sure to listen to your body and what you need. Try getting to bed earlier if your body is telling you it’s exhausted or step away from your work if you feel a headache coming on. While finals week is stressful, it should not be painful.

Gwen is a senior, English major, and co-CC of Her Campus Skidmore. She spends a lot of time watching Pretty Little Liars and Fixer Upper, listening to music, staring at her comptuer screen and wishing words would come easier, and waiting for the New York Islanders to win another Stanley Cup (preferably at the Coli). Also, she really likes cheese and is trying to learn to skateboard. It's not going very well.