person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

4 Ways to Avoid Being Instagram Basic During Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Fall is a very photogenic time. All of our Instagram feeds become filled with photos of apple picking, colorful leaves, fall fashion, and just about anything pumpkin related. The arrival of the new Instagram photo format that allows your pictures to be more than just the basic square, and the new emojis (hello jack-o-lantern and spider web our Halloween Instagram captions have been waiting for you) only heighten the autumn visual excitement. However, all these photos displaying the same tired, Rockwellesque themes can get extremely dull (and dull translates into a few measly “likes” from your mom and maybe two friends). Here are 4 tips on how to avoid being basic and boring on Instagram this fall and get almost as many “likes” as a Kardashian taking a bikini selfie.

1. Stop with the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte photos. Yes, we know they’re delicious. But, no we don’t want to see photos of your Starbucks cup all over our Instagram feeds.  A Starbucks cup is still a Starbucks cup regardless of the delicious content inside, and we’ve all seen that logo enough, trust me. Instead, shoot inside the cup, and try taking a photo of some awesome pumpkin spice latte art—your local barista will be flattered.
  2. Avoid the aerial photo of your cute new fall boots in the leaves. A blob of leather stomping on decaying foliage never looks great – and, worse yet, for some mysterious reason the image has already been snapped six zillion times. Try taking a full body photo instead, showcasing the beautiful fall foliage and your cutting edge fashion choices all in one photo.  Instagram followers want to see your face!
  3. The phrase, “Pictures or it didn’t happen” is particularly applicable when it comes to apple picking.  If you go by social media, it appears that most of New England has gone apple picking this fall, wearing some variation of a plaid shirt and a down vest or jacket. Get a little bit more imaginative this year then just posting a pretend candid of you and your friends picking fruit or smiling and holding your cider donut. Stuff apples in your mouths, juggle them, sniff ‘em, slice ‘em – whatever.  The point is, that in order to stand out from the pack on Instagram, take pictures of the fun you’re actually having at that orchard.
  4. Cady Heron of Mean Girls famously said, “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” It’s impossible to argue with her wise words of wisdom. But, that said, be careful what you post. Every Halloween we see far too many photos of too many girls wearing too little clothes. Trashy isn’t original, it’s overdone– and once those slutty pictures are posted, they’re out there forever. Also, ditch the Pocahontas costume—racial stereotyping is never cool. 

I know these tips are easier said than done (except for number 4). I myself have posted more than one tired, typical, “wow these leaves are pretty this fall” photo. But if you want a truly successful Instagram, hopefully, you can channel your creativity into your phone and think outside the box next time you’re standing in front of those gorgeous trees, delicious apples and adorable pumpkin patches – in your cutest fall ensemble. 

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.