New on Campus: Starbucks & Greens-to-Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

You may have noticed two new additions to SJU’s campus. First, Starbucks moved from its original location on City Avenue to a larger location on 54th street where Cosi used to be. Replacing Starbucks is Greens-to-Go, a healthy alternative that features made-to-order salads. Both Starbucks and Greens-to-Go accept DB and Hawk Cash.

We interviewed various students to see how they like the new additions on campus. It seems there are both positive and negative reviews of each. Junior Sara LaMachia is happy about the larger location for Starbucks. “I do think Starbucks is am improvement because it provides students with a calming environment to step away from the classroom and grab a quick bite or caffeine boost with friends. Before, students were limited to a small space that was constantly crowded. However, I am not particularly happy that it replaced Cosi. Cosi was a really great casual place for students to eat something a little different than what’s offered in Campion. The prices were affordable and the food came out quickly. Having that variety was really nice, especially when I was a freshman.” Taking a different perspective, we asked Freshman Elena DiLeo her thoughts. She has been to Starbucks twice so far since beginning her first year of college, “The first time was great. The second time they were out of some of the ingredients my drink needed, so that was annoying. Overall the menu is the same as every Starbucks and the atmosphere is cozy and nice! It is always good to have a Starbucks nearby.” Starbucks still seems to be a staple in all SJU students’ days and now the larger location allows them to have room to stay longer and socialize, or do homework.

Greens-to-Go seems to be a decent option on campus as well. Although they only offer salads, you can customize them to your liking or order a pre-done salad. Sophomore Kristen Moisey said that Greens-to-Go was good. The service was great and the staff was really nice, but there are not a lot of choices. However, they give you a good portion size so I most likely will go back.” Junior Kelsey Haberin says that Greens-to-Go is alright, but she would prefer to have Cosi as a dining option on campus instead. “It is decent. I ordered a chicken ceasar salad and it was okay. It sort of tasted like a prepackaged salad that you could get anywhere. If it were up to me, I would rather have my Cosi instead. I miss my TBM dearly.”

It seems that students have mixed thoughts on the new dining situation on campus, but regardless it is exciting to have a new restaurant and new location for Starbucks. Check out both of these options! Starbucks is open Monday-Thursday from 7am-9pm, Friday 7am-5pm, and Weekends 8am-5pm. Greens-to-Go is open Monday-Sunday from 11am-6pm.