This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

With warm weather upon us, it’s time to start spring-cleaning your diet. This season, think lean, green, crisp and vibrant! Not only does it taste better when you eat seasonally, but it is also an integral part of our overall well-being and crucial to supporting a sustainable environment.

Adjusting your grocery list to incorporate the fruits and veggies of spring will allow you to fully reap the benefits of the season and eat the way nature intended. Additionally, there are a plethora of farmer’s markets in the Philadelphia area that provide seasonal, local and organic produce that are not only beneficial to your health, but are also easier on your wallet than a trip to a mega-grocery store. Here are five highlights of some of the best produce to buy this season.

Asparagus

Although it may look delicate, this is one mighty vegetable. Asparagus is high in iron and fiber, full of Vitamins A, C, E and K, and works as a powerful antioxidant. Asparagus is in abundance this time of year, and is easy to find at your local farmer’s market.

Pro Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to shave thin strips of asparagus, then toss with fresh fruity olive oil and fresh lemon juice, and top with toasted pine nuts for a bright spring salad.

Dandelion Greens

While often considered an intrusive lawn weed this, rather obscure, plant packs a powerful punch and is certainly worth incorporating into your spring diet. Dandelion Greens are high in iron, potassium, Vitamins A, C, and B6, and support clearer skin. They can surely be found at the farmers market and are even available at larger corporations, such as Whole Foods.

Pro Tip: Add a handful of dandelion greens to your morning smoothie for an extra healthy start to your day.

Onions

Onions are the ideal enhancement to any vegetable medley. While they are easy to find all year long, onions are an excellent addition to your spring farmers market list and are full of many health benefits. They are a great source of Vitamin C, help reduce inflammation, and contain chromium, which helps to regulate blood sugar.

Pro Tip: This versatile veggie tastes great raw, grilled, roasted and sautéed. Try roasting onions with carrotts, parsnips, and fresh herbs for a quick and healthy side dish.

Rhubarb

Although often considered a fruit, this slender spring vegetable, is tart and full of flavor. Rhubarb is an excellent source of calcium and contains lycopene and quercetin, which help to protect the skin from damaging UV rays. It is also a detoxifying vegetable that supports liver health and aids in digestion.

Pro Tip: This spring darling is easy to find this time of year and can easily be prepared. Cut the rhubarb and roast with a tbsp. of coconut oil for a decadent addition to any meal. 

Sugar Snap Peas

These edible pods are not only filled with protein, but also have a burst of bright flavor and are an excellent addition to your spring diet. They are also a great source of vitamin C and can help defend against free-radical damage to the cells.

Pro Tip: Sugar snap peas can be steamed, roasted, and sautéed. However you can simply enjoy them raw, served with your favorite hummus, for a healthy afternoon snack.

Remember you are what you eat, so be sure to eat a diverse, colorful and beautiful diet. Happy spring cooking ladies!

HCXO,

Lizzy