bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cold Weather, Hot Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

As the summer winds down and bathing suit season comes to a close, autumn weather is just around the corner which means oversized sweaters, riding boots, and leggings. Some of you probably spent the months leading up to summer preparing your body to look its best in a bikini – props to all of you. That being said, for all of the girls who didn’t prepare and even those who only prepared for a few weeks, don’t let the clothes of the season tempt you to slack on clean eating and working out! Sure, less people will be able to admire your hard work, but I can’t stress enough how much happier and healthier you will feel if you make an effort to better your body. It has been about a year since I’ve changed my lifestyle and made the swap to clean and healthy living. Honestly, I was never trying to lose weight because I was underweight for a while, but I really wanted muscle and toning. Now that I focus my meals around only fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, you can see the difference. Here is my before on the left and after on the right:

As Chris Brown would say, look at me now! I eat smaller portioned meals balanced between protein and carbohydrates. Also, no fruit drinks or canned fruit, only fresh. You can find out more about eating clean on eatcleandiet.com and eatingwell.com

My advice is that once you get into the mindset that you want to be fit, then you’ve won half the battle. For most people, it’s mind over matter.  You must get yourself to the gym before you ever start working out. Also, you must make the home cooked meal before you decide to eat it. It takes more time, but the results are worth it.

Here are some ways to trick your brain: You may have heard before “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” BOY, is that wrong. I’ve made so many sinless sweets and tasty treats that are 100% clean and good for you! As tempting as it is to want to down some hot cocoa or have a slice of pumpkin pie, there are many healthy alternatives. For example, I’ve come up with a steaming bowl of deliciousness that tastes just as good and is as healthy as it gets: Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats. Never heard of overnight oats? Basically, it’s just rolled or steel-cut oats that you prepare the night before. Just pop ‘em in the microwave the next morning and they’re a quick, delicious breakfast – perfect for college students. Here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

1. 1/3 C pureed pumpkin
  2. 1/2 C oats (steel-cut, rolled, or instant will work)
  3. 1/2 C almond milk or fat free milk
  4. 1 tsp chia seeds
  5. 1 tbs pumpkin pie spice
  6. 1 tsp cinnamon
  7. 1 packet stevia sweetener (or 2 tsp sugar)
  8. 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions: Mix all ingredients in a Mason jar (or a bowl) and cover. Refrigerate overnight. Microwave in the morning, or eat cold with maple syrup drizzled on top.

A quick work out to go with it:

• 2 minute jumping jacks
  • 2 minute high knees
  • 2 minute mountain climbers
  • 2 minute squat jumps (go down into squat position, then jump up and lift legs
  • Repeat 3 times, with a 30 second break in between each set! 

So, even though the colder weather is coming, don’t let that deter you from wanting to make yourself the best you can be. While the rest of the world is hibernating, show them what you’re made of!

Hi! My name is Alli Murray and I am a sophomore communications major at Saint Joe's University. I am passionate about leading a healthy life, which means eating clean and workin' on my fitness! My goal is to inspire girls to do the same and help kickstart their fitness journey.