Why Self Care Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Coming off of a stressful week can be very difficult, but there ARE ways to overcome it.

Self-care is one of the most important ways to get through tough times in college.

According to Reachout.com, self-care is known as a activity that helps one maintain a physical or mental balance given their current situation.

Being swamped with quizzes, exams and homework is sometimes all that we can think about, however it’s imperitive that this idea comes in between our free time from school.

Why is self-care important? Let’s dig deeper to determine why and how it can be done right!

1. Encourages a Healthy Lifestyle

Whether you personally feel the weight of college pressing down during the week, (usually beginning on a Monday)  self-care will encourage you to get out and become active. If it is through excercising, getting in a good sweat will allow you to melt away your daily, weekly or monthly stresses.

2. Tackles restlessness

After a long week of attending classes, doing homework and studying, some of us tend to feel completely drained. One easy way to fight through that drowsy feeling can be through taking a nap, a hot bath or even meditating which can be very beneficial to recharging after a hectic week.

3. Aides with Health Issues

As many students in college look to cope through mental illness, taking the appropiate time to devote to personal time is vital. Even if it is taking 5 minutes to relax, it’s important to find something that you like in order to relieve your personal stress that includes school related things like doing a relaxing mani pedi.

Something as simple as taking a walk or further involved like working out can help with self-care, there are millions of things to do that even include providing self care for your mind and not just your body.

Here are five ideas to take care of yourself each week mentally and physically.

Mental:

• Unplug from your electronics for an hour or two (yes, put your phone in airplane mode and relax!)

• Get out of your comfort zone and talk to others in your community.

• Make different decisions each week, change IS good.

• Changing your habits, both good and bad.

• Be positively selfish with your time (alone time is completely okay sometimes.)

Physical:

• Work out to your own speed or try a different type (yoga, cycling, or even Zumba.)

• Change your diet by trying a cleanse or eating more fruits or vegetables.

• Soaking in a hot bath (try a bath bomb from LUSH cosmetics)

• Dance and get your body moving to your favorite beat.

• Sit in a quiet space to relieve your mind.

If you are interested in other ways to get through a stressful week of college, we recommend that you check out tinybuddha.com to read about how to properly relieve yourself every week!

Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.