Life > Experiences

Top Must Visit Bay Area Spots: Fall and Winter Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

With the temperature dropping, coats and beanies making a revival within our   closets, and the holiday season  swiftly approaching, the types of  activities  to do are changing. The cozy season entails both winter wonderland activities and cozy indoor feels. 

The Bay Area is known for having it all: beaches, mountains, cities, suburbs, and the valley. With such diversity in the landscape comes unique places to visit left and right. With the holiday season upon us, many desire making  strong nostalgic memories as we bring back traditions. Some traditions are going to places that are special in our hearts. 

I will be talking about a few recommended places that bring nostalgia and joy not only to me but to others who reside in the Bay Area. 

Union Square in San Francisco

Walking around Union Square in San Francisco feels like that one Alicia Keys song, “Empire State of Mind,” specifically the lyrics, “concrete jungle where dreams are made of,”especially during the winter time. 

The festive lights are brighter than ever, department stores are decorated to a ‘T,’ cafes surround the ice skating rink, and the iconic Christmas tree is as tall as a skyscraper. 

Every year, my family and I would visit this magical place to shop till we dropped, then ice skate, topping it all off with a fancy  dinner spot and some hot chocolate – what a duo. Wherever you look, people are smiling, having long conversations, and just strolling around like there is an infinite amount of time in the world. 

City Lights Books

If you want to just cuddle up with a book and a pumpkin spice latte or white peppermint mocha in one hand, go to City Lights Books. This gem of a bookstore in San Francisco is a landmark to the community because it has been supplying book lovers for decades. 

The warm, inviting atmosphere with colorful books all around you creates the perfect aura to read for hours, whether on a self-date, with friends, or on  a date. 

Jack London Square

With the colder seasons bringing people together, many open areas across the Bay host events of all kinds, including Jack London Square in Oakland. 

Jack London Square is located on the waterfront of Oakland. With the city and waterfront view creating a perfect symbiotic balance, many events are held here. Some events they hold are the holiday tree lighting, festivals displaying works of art, fashion, and jewelry like the patchwork modern Makers festival. They also have times when they give back to the community as sometimes the colder season can also be a lonelier and harsher time for others who are less fortunate. 

Even though this place is filled with thrills and adventure, every year, it takes a turn to become a winter wonderland for all ages. This place is none other than Winterfest in Great America! 

Beginning towards the end of November every year, the park becomes a Winterfest filled with vibrant light decorations, festive shops, exciting seasonal rides, and treats that just make sense to have in the fall-winter season. 

What would be your favorite nostalgic place during this cozy season? @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi! My name is Wandii, and I am a second year at SJSU studying International Business. I am interested in minoring in digital media or something along the lines of information in technology. I am a first-generation Kenyan American, and my parents have supported me in earning a high school degree and getting me into college. I have been fortunate to try so many activities throughout my life. Down the line, I stuck to building my passion and skill in dance and playing the piano. Some hobbies I have acquired are writing poems, going to the gym, learning how to roller skate, and traveling no matter how far; I love to experience beautiful scenery and new cultures. My love for writing poems and daily journaling sparked my interest in writing articles about topics from music to the arts, hot topics, world issues, and general pop culture. Applying for Her Campus at SJSU is one of the best decisions I have made going into college as a first year. The club opened the perfect opportunity for me to utilize my writing potential in a community of supportive and inspiring women.