Wellness > Health

The Unspoken “Second Puberty”: Let’s Talk About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

What is the “second puberty”? The second puberty isn’t a medical term but is used as an expression to describe the physical and emotional changes that people go through past their adolescence. This expression has been going around social media, and the concept is based on the physical changes women develop during their early 20s, such as weight gain, noticeable curves, and acne.

Scientifically, a second puberty isn’t possible due to our bodies already going through the hormonal process. But the takeaway of this concept is that it isn’t spoken about how our bodies can drastically change past our teen years. It is unfair for us and society to expect women’s bodies to stay the same as when they were 15 to 18. Living in our early 20s, we live new experiences that our body adapts to our changing lives.

Unfortunately, in the age of social media acting as an environment for ideas of the ideal body standard, it can be difficult to accept our changing bodies. Looking at our bodies in the mirror, we have ideas on how we should look and what can be changed to look better. These overcritical thoughts can become isolating for individuals and cause them to have a negative body image

Social media treats body types as a fashion statement, such as “Heroin Chic” or  “Slim Thick,” which can be harmful to individuals who view this content and perpetuates ideas that your body type will never be desirable. It gives the idea that women’s bodies can go in and out of fashion when, in reality, women are more than just body standards for aesthetic purposes.

Seeing your body change can be a scary process, especially if you’ve been the same size for several years of your life. You may question yourself and wonder why you feel out of place in your body. This questioning is completely normal, but people must learn to accept their changing bodies and treat them with kindness. 

As we get older, our bodies will continue to change, and by understanding that our bodies will not look the same several years down the line, we will spare ourselves from a lifetime of negative self-talk and resentment.

One practice I’ve seen in embracing your new body that works is asking yourself if you would like one of your loved ones speaking negatively about their bodies and how you would respond. If you don’t enjoy your loved ones speaking negatively about themselves, why would you do the same? 

As people, we naturally are our biggest critics, but it is important to understand we aren’t perfect, and it is okay to have flaws. Overall, you should take care of yourself, embrace the new changes, and find ways to accept yourself for who you are.

How do you take care of yourself physically or mentally? Let us know @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi everyone! My name is Harini and I’m a third year majoring in Public Health and I'm part of the writer's team at SJSU. I started to enjoy writing when I started getting into the habit of bullet journaling and I eventually grew to enjoy to write about topics that interest me. Some topics that I enjoy writing about is wellness, physical/mental health, and relationships.