These 5 Clubs at SJSU Promote Women Empowerment, and You Should Check Them Out

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, and following a prolonged period of oppression, it is crucial for women to create a sense of community where we can support each other’s growth. One of the most effective avenues for finding this space is through women-centric clubs and organizations within schools and colleges. Let’s explore five organizations dedicated to women’s empowerment and their chapters at San José State University! 

Her Campus at SJSU

Her Campus is a nationwide online community for college women, and SJSU proudly hosts a chapter. Through various events and initiatives such as Secret Sisters mentorship, Galentine’s Day celebrations, painting sessions, and coffee meetups, HC creates a supportive and empowering community on campus. Whether you’re interested in joining the writers’ team, community engagement team, event planners team, marketing team, or designers team, there is something for everybody. As a current member of Her Campus at SJSU, we welcome you to become a part of our inclusive community during your college journey.

Girls Who Code

Girls Who Code (GWC) strives to dismantle the gender barrier in STEM, with a particular focus in technology. With workshops and networking events both at SJSU and beyond, members are immersed in a supportive environment of like-minded women. Join GWC if you’re passionate about coding and seek a community of women dedicated to helping each other thrive in the tech industry!

Women in Business

Geared towards those with a business mindset, Women in Business (WIB) aims to equip SJSU women with the skills and network to become industry leaders. Open to all majors and backgrounds, WIB’s events range from company tours, professional speaker engagements, and even movie nights. Membership perks include internship and mentorship opportunities, along with free merchandise, making Women in Business a valuable resource for professional and social growth on campus.

Girl Gains

Focused on personal development, Girl Gains empowers women in the weightlifting community. Through events like sports game watch parties, workout sessions, and study groups, Girl Gains provides a space for SJSU women to pursue their wellness goals. If you’re into fitness, self-care, and seeking a supportive community, consider joining Girl Gains.

Women Wellness

Addressing both mental and physical health, Women Wellness brings together women at SJSU interested in wellness activities such as yoga, stress management workshops, and journaling. Through informative content on nutrition and mental health, Women Wellness strives to support members in their personal growth amidst the challenges of college life. Join this club if you’re passionate about self-improvement and educating others on well-being.

These are just a few of the many female-centric clubs at SJSU, with others including Women in Aviation and Women in Animation. Explore these opportunities too if you’re considering a career in these fields!

Which of these clubs are you currently a part of or interested in joining? Let us know by sharing your responses @HerCampusSJSU! We’d love to connect with you!

Hey! I'm Sanjana, but you can call me Sanju. I’m currently a Communication Studies student at SJSU. I love food, especially frozen desserts and tiramisu. Boba is my go-to drink, and I'm always down to explore new boba stores and flavors (though mango-passionfruit green tea remains my favorite). I'm actively building my online presence on Instagram and YouTube, sharing my journey as a student. Through these platforms, I aim to connect with other students who are also pursuing higher education. I also aspire to launch a relevant blog and sell handmade stationery someday. In my spare time, you'll find me engaged in writing, reading (particularly YA fiction), and dancing. As a K-pop fan, I mostly participate in K-pop dance covers, and my favorite groups include NCT, Stray Kids, and ITZY. As a music enthusiast in general, I vibe with various genres. Ultimately, my life goal is to explore and travel the world!