This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

As the past semester had gone on, I felt as though I was constantly overwhelmed with a multitude of thoughts continuously running through my head. I found myself struggling to convey these thoughts and let out how I was truly feeling. Then I discovered my newfound love for journaling because of all the benefits that arise with it. 

Every evening, I try to take about ten minutes to just write about my day and what I felt as it progressed. This allowed me to reflect on my actions along with how they impacted my emotional state. This style of free writing ensures there is no pressure on how to start or end your journal entry for any given day, as long as it motivates you to continue journaling. However, everyone will have a different style of writing they feel comfortable with, and I encourage you to do what you prefer. 

How I prefer to write at the end of the day is fairly simplistic as I feel that is the most convenient way to explain my feelings. I usually start with an overview of what my day entailed, from there I generally include random thoughts and feelings that crossed my mind at any given moment. Once I was done with this recollection, at the bottom of the page I would manifest certain mantras that I felt I genuinely wanted in my life to encourage me. 

This daily exercise of journaling is one that is necessary to continue encouraging a positive mental health space. Upon adding this into my routine, I truly noticed a difference in my mental health, along with my outlook in life. I noticed that including at least three aspects in my life I am grateful for, I created a more positive outlook in all that was occurring in my life. 

If any of you choose to start journaling and have any tips please share them with us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU, and enjoy writing!

Hi my name is Anjali! I am a senior at San Jose State University with a major in Business Administration. I love reading and writing articles for this amazing organization! A majority of my articles revolve around metal health and self care because of how strongly I feel about these topics, and want to continue to shed light on their importance.