This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

It’s expected for kids to grow out of stuffed animals once they get out of middle school or high school. It may seem childish to some people to still have stuffed animals. They’re just toys for kids, so why would an adult own one? Something cuddly should be owned by a child, not an adult. They’re more than that. Stuffed animals can provide comfort to some people when others cannot. Children aren’t the only ones who find comfort in stuffed animals. You don’t grow out of a need for comfort. Adulthood is filled with many uncertainties and obstacles in your way. One way to relieve stress is to cuddle with your stuffed animals.

For me, there are over a dozen stuffed animals in my room, all varying in sizes and shapes. Many people would call it unnecessary and a waste of space to own. My stuffed animals provide me comfort during sad moments, especially during times like this. At a time where everyone is stuck in their homes and physical contact is limited, having something to hug and cuddle with is welcoming. I love physical affection so being away from my friends for a long period of time has really put a damper on my mood, but my stuffed animals help me cope. Although it’s not the same as a real person, it’s a good substitute for me to have until we can meet again.

cute graduation bear
Original photo by Marie Antoinette Aquino

Plushies can hold sentimental value to them. Whether it be a teddy bear from childhood or a gift from a significant other, it holds memories, and sometimes, those memories are going to be hard to get rid of. I have this teddy bear I got from Build-A-Bear for my middle school graduation that I don’t want to give up. My younger sister has a Baby Stitch plush from our last trip to Disneyland. Stuffed animals have a special place in my heart. Many stuffed animals in my home hold a piece of memory in them.

Stuffed animals can be there when other people can’t. If you live alone or are somewhere far away from the people you know, it can get quite lonely by yourself. With a stuffed animal by your side, you’ll always have a cuddle buddy with you. A little piece of home to take with you everywhere. There have even been some stuffed animals developed so that loved ones can hug from different parts of the world such as Parihug, which was, unfortunately, pulled from production due to hacking and security breaches. Stuffed animals are not the same as a regular person, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t help.

Stuffed animals also help bring the little kid inside of you. Being an adult in the real world is stressful, so you take any chance to relax. If you ever visit Circus Circus Hotel Casino in Reno, you should know The Midway, the center of all the arcade games in the hotel. The excitement you feel when entering and seeing all the stuffed animals you could win and take home. The immediate serotonin boost when you win one of the games and you realize you get to take home one of those giant teddy bears. Stuffed animals bring back that childish wonder you had in the past but never get to act on a regular basis.

Stuffed animals are usually associated with and directed towards children. People can be judgmental towards adults who still sleep with stuffed animals, and it may seem embarrassing to some when people find out they like stuffed animals. However, there’s nothing wrong with liking and having stuffed animals as an adult. There’s no law stopping you from having one with you. If a stuffed animal brings you comfort in any way shape or form, there shouldn’t be anything stopping you from buying and treasuring one.

They’re cute. They’re soft. They’re cuddly. A perfect comfort item for people of all ages.

I am a Journalism major at SJSU. I fell in love with it and I hope to travel the world to learn new things and meet new people. I hope one day to have my works published for the world to see. In my free time, I like listening to music while I scroll aimlessly through social media or talking to my friends.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah