jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Protecting Yourself While on and Near Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Lately at San Jose State University, SJSU Police have been sending alerts relating to attacks, attempted robberies, sexual assault and other incidents on what seems to be a frequent basis. Like many students I have talked to, we are afraid and aware that extra precautions need to be taken in order to protect ourselves.

It is unfortunate that we feel this way, but to minimize the fear and likelihood of something taking place, we have to be proactive. It takes a couple of small changes to make yourself more aware of your surroundings and less vulnerable. 

First, when you are in an area surrounding campus try to walk with a friend or buddy. Recent alerts have included incidents of attempted strong-arm robbery and battery happening during the day and in the evening at and by the North Parking Garage on Feb. 20, 2018. It is smart to avoid isolated areas and walk with someone.

Another, way to help yourself become aware of your surroundings is to try and avoid listening to music or using your headphones while walking. That way, you are more aware and in the present moment. If anything concerning starts to happen, like someone starting to follow you, you can realize it more quickly than if you were distracted by using your phone or listening to music.

Walking with confidence and keeping your keys in your hand will also allow you to avoid becoming distracted while looking for your keys. It helps avoid having to take off your backpack or looking in your purse once you get to your car. The less time you are distracted, the better.

Be aware of the safety Blue Light Phone alarms that can be found throughout the campus and parking garages. In case something does happen and you are near one, make sure you push it to alert SJSU Police. Pointing them out in your mind while you are walking to your destination can also help keep your mind more present.

The last option that I can recommend, especially if you have night classes that get out late, is to carry pepper spray with you. There are very inexpensive pepper spray key chains with a safety lock feature and can be attached to your keys. 

Hopefully soon, we as students can feel safer walking on and around campus. However, until crime rate drops we still need to be vigilant and aware of the potential dangers around us. To see where and what crimes have been occurring  on campus at  SJSU and the surrounding areas, check out this interactive CrimeReports™ map.

Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.