Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

On The Road with Her Campus at SJSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Heaven is a place on Earth and it is called Yosemite. 

Her Campus at SJSU kicked off April with a Spring Retreat at Curry Village, a resort in Yosemite National Park. The weekend was filled with nature activities and road trip fun! 

The retreat served as a bonding event for members to connect and build new friendships. It also created unique opportunities for self-reflection and a chance to connect with nature. 

Planning The Getaway

The club’s executives President Camy Totah, Events Director Jamie Buchmann and Secretary Desiree Tabizon planned the retreat along with the help of a committee. 

“We had a Google Form that we submitted ideas to and then we elaborated on those ideas at our meeting. We only had one meeting but it was very effective. It was over an hour-long [and] we all got straight to the point”, said Buchmann.

lHBow8kZ7Yz383FZZAvEdcquMItUCyazSstglf9Mub83C5K2wB1FGfNBK5ChpE KMLXSvClvz6cMPVA AcO9HpvUPwX2BKKkkwHsEOSnz57GJpIG22wrLY fbk7V6dtR9BBwoTN

Photo of the executive team by Merced River taken on film by writer Deena Sada. 

Goals For The Trip

HC at SJSU has many initiatives to help members engage with each other and build leadership skills. 

The trip to Yosemite was a member initiative spearheaded by President Camy Totah. Totah chose to lead this trip as her last hurrah as chapter president.

“[My goals] were to connect and learn something new about each member. I hope this trip would further their connection to our organization at its core and to challenge our minds and bodies to do something beyond what we thought our capabilities were. My intention was to give members the opportunity to go with the flow in this environment and face new challenges,”Totah said.

New Experiences

Attendees had different reasons for attending the retreat but many of them wanted to go because they had never been to Yosemite. 

“What motivated me to come on this trip was the fact that I knew that I really needed a break and since Yosemite is on my bucket list, I would have a great time no matter what because I got to cross it off my bucket list,” said Mary Kay Jimenez-Floyd, a writer for the chapter. 

“I wanted to experience new things. I’ve never been to Yosemite so I think it was a good opportunity to get to know more people… but also to explore nature,” said Lesley Rodriguez, a writer. 

Favorite Moments

The weekend itinerary included nature walks, hikes, painting, journaling, a talent show, and more! Members enjoyed all aspects of the trip, but especially enjoyed the hikes which allowed them to form bonds with other members. 

Yosemite has hikes ranging from easy to difficult. To accommodate different abilities, the girls split into either an easy or moderate hike. The two trails were Columbia Rock and Mirror Lake

Columbia Rock was categorized as moderate, but it was very steep and consisted of repetitive switchbacks, which are sharp turns going uphill for 2 miles. It was a very rocky road with a view of the greenery of Yosemite. At the final destination, there was a breathtaking view of Columbia Rock and Half Dome. After hiking for an extra 15 to 20 minutes, there was a close-up view of Yosemite Falls which was worth the extra walk and the rewarding mist from the falls. 

The Mirror Lake trail was a 2.1-mile trail categorized as easy. The girls who took this trail had an adventure, walking barefoot on the flooded trail. As they walked on the path, trees surrounded them on both sides with a stream of water in between. Although the water was very cold, they were able to make it to the end!

When asked what her favorite part of the trip was, writer Karson Wells said, “making it to the top of Columbia Rock!” 

gIfbmPWulPgv906j3s62fT XrBiLJQoUx7ynrLn58GB9rDFP HPMp7Q5awvhGxT8Yw7Q UOIYtFhgp52lPqn5c0UW0N4VvNKjYduIG w46KVHJMkZt9d4b9m3GP1YtKYnWTFND3V

Photo of Karson Wells at Columbia Rock taken by Sachi Tolani

Rodriguez chose to go on the Mirror Lake hike which was the easier trail. 

“We were hiking and our path was overflooded with water. So then we all had to take our shoes off to walk through the path. At first, we all didn’t want to do it but I think it was rewarding to finish the hike and be able to do that,” Rodriguez said.

CGSzvEnwine WzQ4LlVH9A7GPTNoZutL10ggcq

Picture of Deena Sada, Lesley Rodriguez, and Mary Kay Jimenez-Floyd walking in the overflooded path to Mirror Lake taken on film. 

Floyd said she enjoyed immersing herself in nature and going on a hike. 

“I spent some time with myself and there was a great view of Half Dome… I got overwhelmed so I teared up a bit because I did really need this trip to get out in the woods and it was very emotional so I think that was my favorite part,” said Floyd. 

During the tote bag painting social, she wrote “So much to live for” on her bag in reference to her experiences in nature during the Yosemite retreat. 

ZyG30M8QMkg EuDOVGi kcT00PJ GPJY1GmkiPXKOGlfTQq eXKnwChvaCcOrYoq631jfLhsbdKWeZRlVPnb0hZDhp6BGpqkwF1wTTO0J8pGseenY9hNjjhBNlHTyQE9CdATEtKv

Picture of Mary Kay Jimenez-Floyd at Mirror Lake taken by Lesley Rodriguez

A Trip to Remember 

The very first Her Campus at SJSU retreat was memorable. On the first night, girls were asked to set their intentions for the trip in their journals. We asked what they were hoping to get out of the trip and at the end, they were asked to write whether or not the trip met their expectations. 

Rodriguez enjoyed connecting with new girls and spending time with some of the ones she already knew. 

“I was able to meet new people but also able to deepen my bond with the girls that I already knew and was close with which was really nice… I wanted to go in with an open mind and be able to explore things. I think this trip definitely helped cater to that,” Rodriguez said.

Wells successfully accomplished her intentions of socializing, making new friends, and getting away from the busyness of school.

Wells said, “It was what I expected. I had a really good time and I accomplished all the intentions that I set and I’m looking forward to the next trip!” 

Floyd immersed herself in nature and finally checked off her bucket list item! 

Floyd said, “What I was hoping to get out of this trip was exactly what I expected! I got to socialize with other girls and expand my networking experience… getting immersed in nature was amazing and beautiful… I now get to cross off Yosemite on my bucket list!” 

If you went on the trip, make sure to share your photos by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU on Instagram!

Wila Mae was a Style Intern at Her Campus for the Spring 2023 semester. She's a passionate storyteller and loves creating short-form video content highlighting secondhand shopping and Bay Area small businesses on her socials. Keep up with Wila Mae and her work @wilamae.navarro on Instagram and @wilamae2 on TikTok.
My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!