Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

We all know school can be stressful. For some, it’s easier to get through, but someone like me, the stress can be more impactful, making it harder for me to get through the semester. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and mentality can make or break the rest of your semester. When I get stressed about my schoolwork or upcoming tests or deadlines, I start to fall into a dark place, but as I grow older, I’ve figured out some things that are helpful to keep the stress low.

Here are some ideas that can possibly help you when you’re feeling stressed.

1. Understand that failure is not the end of the world.

This is one of the most important things to keep in mind. It’s something that I keep forgettnig, but it does me well to remember it. If I get a low grade or fail an exam, I have to understand that it is not the end of the world, even if it might just feel tht way. Before, during and after these specific deadlines or exams, keep reminding yourself that. It sets the intention for better mental health. 

2. Keeping a positive mindset.

This comes with intention as mentioned before. Rather than saying things with a negative intent, say them with a positive intent. Talking to yourself positively matters. For example, rather than saying “I am going to fail this test. I am not smart,” say, “I will pass this test. I am smart.” Take out the negatives and replace with the positives. Positive self-talk matters whenmatters when it comes to keeping a healthy mental state.

3. Keeping track of positive thoughts. 

Nowadays, keeping track of anything and everything is so much simpler. Now that we have amazing technology in the palms of our hands, we don’t have to worry about keeping a handwritten journal or any journal in general. Apps in our phones can help can help keep track of those positive ideas and thoughts as well as giving us the motivation to continue working hard.

4. Take time for yourself.

You know yourself better than anyone. You know when things are getting bad mentally. When the time comes, you know it’s time to take a break. Self-care is important, especially for your mental health. Say you’re studying and getting ready for an exam. You have been going and going, and still, you odn’t think you’re understanding anything. When that frustration comes, sit back and understand that you can only do so much. If you fail, you fail, and that’s okay. The world won’t end. That’s when we go back to the intention mentioned in tip 1.

Remember, you know yourself more than anyone, and when you feel yourself falling, you have to bring yourself back to your feet. We all fall in the same hole from time, but always remember that you are strong and smart, and you can do this.

Hi! My name is Gabriella, but I go by Gabbie. I’m a sophomore at San Jose State University as a double major in Journalism and Political Science. I hope to use my degree in helping the world become a better place. In the SJSU chapter, I am the senior editor for the magazine.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah