How My New Year’s Resolution Was Successful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

When I started off 2017 I was coming through a bit of a rough patch.

I was battling medical issues and drowning in anxiety for my future. I was recovering from a concussion and was basing my happiness on my success and I could only see my failures.

My demons were at work. The ones that were telling me that I couldn’t overcome my weaknesses and shortcomings. And that no one truly cared about me and I wasn’t capable of being loved so I didn’t let anyone show me love. I was convinced that I didn’t need anybody. I was also becoming insecure. I thought everyone was out to get me and had some serious trust issues. I struggled to build relationships with my family, friends, and any one new who entered my life.

But for my New Year’s Resolution I promised myself that I was going to be free of those demons. I was no longer going to end up in the pattern of life I was drowning in. That I was going to have to be the one to make the change if I wanted change.

After my rough Spring Semester ended I decided it was time to put that resolution into action. At this time I had let myself go and stopped caring about my personal health which caused me to do terrible in school and lose self motivation.

When I went home for the summer I was coming to release baggage with my family and to build myself back up. So I didn’t use social media, didn’t talk to anyone, and started working out and confronted my family.

I did successfully start building better relationships and realized that where a lot of my problems lied. They were the foundation to why I was so unhappy. The resentment had built up and was affecting my college life.

By the end of the summer I had gained weight, naturally felt happier, and was truly taking care of myself.

There’s a point in time where you may feel like you’ve hit the bottom. You may have fallen into a hole in life and it seems like it just keeps getting deeper. Figure out where the problem lies. If it’s a continued pattern you recognize within yourself and life pattern then it’s time to make a decision to take control of the situation to change your outcome.

If you feel like you can’t help yourself, there is help out there.

I’m happy to say that I am in a better and stable place in my life. I choose to love myself first. My grades are good, my weight is good, I’m monitoring my health, and building better relationships.

But most importantly, I’m Happy.

May everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

My name is Tiona, I go by T and I have a passion for writing and informing people on issues and media in the world. I'm from Sacramento, CA and I'm in my 3rd year studying PR and Dance. I love old school music, traveling, dancing, and making a difference. My favorite color is yellow, I love basketball, and fashion/beauty. I'm a very straight foward and lowkey person. After college I'd like to get my Cosmetology license and also go on to graduate school to study fashion and/or performing arts. 
Tiana is a senior at San Jose State University and she is learning to take each day one step at a time while adjusting to life in the Bay Area. She's often watching YouTube videos on D.I.Y projects or hair care, but majority of the time she's watching Parks and Rec episodes while pretending to do homework. In the midst of all that homework dodging she's also casually planning her dream wedding.