How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

How Modern Menstruation Products Came to Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

With women’s history month in bloom, what better time than to discuss a process that almost every woman goes through. Each month for at least a week I am faced with worrying about whether or not my tampon or pad has overflowed. 

“Did I leak?”, I have constantly asked my friends to make sure I won’t be faced with shame or public embarrassment. Now it brings me to question, who decided to invent the period products I buy on a monthly basis? 

As mentioned by the Smithsonian Institution, “The global feminine hygiene industry is estimated to be worth $15 billion and growing”, which represents how widely women are using menstruation products across the world. 

Personally, I purchase a new pack of tampons every month making it hard to imagine a world without these products. I often wonder what women had to endure before the invention of these products and how feminine hygiene has evolved as time has progressed. Let’s take a look at how far we’ve come. 

The 1800s to 1900s: Rags to Riches

Due to menstruation being a longstanding taboo that has persisted in history, there are very few records to tell what exactly women used before today’s modern products. Before the creation of the first disposable pad, women in Europe and the United States created homemade menstrual cloths that were designed from clothes such as women’s fabric or flannel material. 

With growing concerns over feminine hygiene and bacterial growth affecting cleanliness, there was the development of a new menstrual “hygiene” market. Sometime during this period, there were even patents being taken out for period pants made from rubber, the first menstrual cup, and Lister’s towels. 

A notable invention was the sanitary belt which was introduced in the 1800s and was the precursor to the disposable pads that came shortly after. The belts were made using elastic waistbands that would rest on a person’s waist with two clips attached. One of the clips would be connected to the front while the other would be attached to the back. Between the two clips would be a thick cloth or towel that would soak up period blood. 

The first sanitary belt that was created was known as the “Ladies Elastic Dolly Belt” which was the first of its kind to be marketed toward a mainstream audience back when products were marketed door to door. While inventors were in the process of creating these pads to fulfill a need to manage menstruation, there were hesitant consumers on the opposite end embarrassed to be seen purchasing them. 

The 1900s to 1920s: Knowledge from WWI’s Battlefield 

During WWI, Nurses discovered that cellulose was much more suitable material for absorbing blood in comparison to cloth bandages. With this knowledge, the first Kotex sanitary napkin was created from the surplus of high absorption bandages using cellulose material. 

The first of this product was put out for sale in 1918 and by 1921 Kotex became one of the first of its kind to breakthrough in marketing. As WWII started women were encouraged to use menstrual products to continue their work and contribution to war efforts. The mainstreaming of period products was a breakthrough that allowed women to move outside of the home in order to participate in work. 

The 1930s to 1940s: Enter the Kotex Era 

This era welcomed a new influx of inventions in menstrual products, especially under the emergence of modern disposable tampons. The invention of tampons resulted from the recognition of waddled cotton being used by nurses in WWI to soak blood from soldiers’ wounds.

Eventually, this medical practice would inspire and lead to the creation of absorbent tampons for female use. In 1931, a patent design with a paper tube applicator was filed by E.C Hass. The design became the first successfully marketed tampon and was deemed as a healthier alternative to pads since they did not expose women to fecal bacteria the same way pads would. 

Many women were reluctant to stick to pads after learning proper insertion techniques of the tampons. Yet, many cultures were skeptical about tampon acceptance since it struck moral controversy regarding virginity and masturbation. 

Due to the skepticism, there were further innovations for pad products. A female African American inventor, Mary Beatrice Davidson Kenner patented the sanitary belt in 1956. This was the first time in which a sanitary pad provided some form of adhesive to keep the material in place. Unfortunately due to the times, she was never recognized nor acknowledged because of discrimination. 

Also during this time Tampax developed and studied women’s preferences on the current tampon. As a result, changes were made to make the tampon and sanitary pad packaging to be smaller and more discreet. 

The 1950s to 1990s: The Call for Regulation 

During the 1970s the first beltless pads were introduced with different variations for flows. Within the next 10 years, we see the introduction of pads with wings and maxi pads. 

Alongside pads, tampons had continued to rise in popularity. However, between 1979 and 1996 thousands of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) cases occurred due to a specific brand and material. Luckily, government regulations were made over the safety and composition of menstrual products. 

In an attempt to switch to more natural forms, the menstrual cup became reinvented through reusable menstrual cups, period sponges, and biodegradable options. 

The 2000s to Now: Products of the Future 

Currently, there is a vast variety of options to choose from when caring for your feminine cycle. You can choose from organic pads and tampons, regular tampons, maxi pads, panty liners. One option that is making a comeback is antimicrobial period panties that are taking the market by storm. 

With concern over the environmental impact of disposable period products, some women are choosing to use menstrual sea sponges and silicone cups instead. 

There’s a lot of caution and warning surrounding TSS as it’s put on the warning label of tampon boxes so concerns for developing a case aren’t as likely as before. Remember ladies, pull the string out every 4 to 8 hours! 

Nowadays, products and ad campaigns are moving towards becoming more inclusive of all the bodies that are receiving their period. These include trans men and gender nonbinary people

In the progressive movement forward ad campaigns are shifting towards a more feminist message, showing just exactly how products can liberate women to take control of their bodies and break through barriers. The advancement in menstrual technologies has allowed bodies with cycles to become more empowered. 

I’m hoping within the next few years the United States are willing to provide women across the nation with free access to these products. Let’s take a step forward in making sure those without access to menstrual products can finally have this necessity fulfilled. 

What are your thoughts on menstruation products? Share them by tagging us at @HerCampusSJSU! 

Amanda Kim is a Communication Studies major and Business minor at San Jose State University. She is looking forward to sharing content around health and wellness, and how to communicate within relationships. In her free time she enjoys fitness, cooking, and reading.