Style

First Week Back-to School Fashion in 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Summer is coming to a close, and many universities are back in session for the Fall 2023 Semester. Trends and various fashion styles are back on campus as well, and I am here for it!  Everyone takes time off for themselves over the summer. When they return, they come back with a better understanding of their personal style. Read on as this article will take a closer look at how on-campus looks from students can act as a free ticket to a runway fashion show.

The first week back-to-school throughout the years has become a version of Paris Fashion Week,  with everything from streetwear to crochet looks, asymmetric clothing, the 90s to Y2K trends, and vintage wear. Once I leave my dorm and head for my classes, I am reminded of how diverse San Jose State University is, not just demographically but also in fashion. 

College is a space many students utilize to peel off more layers of themselves and learn more ways to express their individuality. Instagram, TikTok, and Pinterest are some of the biggest social media platforms for students to get their fashion ideas. The growth in exposure for students increases creativity in how people style themselves. 

For instance, the ‘90s and 2000s/Y2K style that has been back since 2021 has taken over. The ‘90s and 2000s styles are seen left and right in creative videos like Victoria Monet’s latest music video,  “On My Mama” , which contains fashion pieces that reminisce Ciara’s 2004 hit, “Goodies.”  

Social media influencers significantly change the game in the fashion seen on campus; for example, Monet McMichael, who has become quite the “it” girl on TikTok, wears baggy jeans with a tight top paired with Diesel heels, baseball cap and chains — everyone else is following her Y2K  train. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, students worldwide took that period of isolation to acquire more hobbies, skills, likes, and dislikes — one of them being  to crochet. 

Now, yes, crocheting fashion is nothing new of a skill or idea. However, according to Rain Magazine’s article, “The list of fashion trends for college students in 2023”, people have taken it upon themselves to return to the fashion style after quarantine ended around 2022. With DIY culture picking up speed again, young people naturally gravitated towards the idea of DIY fashion, in this case, crochet fashion. 

With the younger generations taking a liking to crochet, according to Rain Magazine’s article, “The list of fashion trends for college students in 2023”, state-name brands like Dolce & Gabbana and Alexander McQueen have hopped on the market to sell more crochet apparel. 

With fashion becoming more abstract by the decade, it allows young people, especially college students, to challenge the boundaries of creative expression and dress more for themselves than to please societal norms. 

Fashion builds community on and off campus, but the industry can also be stressful and intimidating as the style bar rises exponentially. According to a New York Times article, “The Campus as Runway,” fashion is also a passion, a hobby, a career, therapeutic, and a significant factor in life that diversifies university campuses and the world. We may not realize the importance of fashion culture in our lives even though we witness the ongoing fashion changes right before us. 

After summer break of 2023, what is your style looking like? What is your current favorite back to school aesthetic or style? @HerCampusSJSU!

Hi! My name is Wandii, and I am a second year at SJSU studying International Business. I am interested in minoring in digital media or something along the lines of information in technology. I am a first-generation Kenyan American, and my parents have supported me in earning a high school degree and getting me into college. I have been fortunate to try so many activities throughout my life. Down the line, I stuck to building my passion and skill in dance and playing the piano. Some hobbies I have acquired are writing poems, going to the gym, learning how to roller skate, and traveling no matter how far; I love to experience beautiful scenery and new cultures. My love for writing poems and daily journaling sparked my interest in writing articles about topics from music to the arts, hot topics, world issues, and general pop culture. Applying for Her Campus at SJSU is one of the best decisions I have made going into college as a first year. The club opened the perfect opportunity for me to utilize my writing potential in a community of supportive and inspiring women.