This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

The idea of “letting go” is easily one of the hardest challenges for someone to go through. Similar to how archers need to let go of their arrows and trust that they will hit their target, we need to let go of our doubts and hope that we made the right decision. 

Whether that is about relationships, the past, control, or even fear, it can cause you to feel a variety of emotions. It can be a tough process, but here are some tips to help you get through it: 

Acknowledge your emotions 

There is no need to judge yourself for how you’re feeling; instead, assure yourself that it is normal. You might feel a lot of emotions at the moment like regret, sadness, resentment, or denial.

However you might be feeling, your mind should be a safe space to accept these feelings. Don’t try to push or deny your feelings, but instead, fully allow yourself to feel them. If you feel sad, cry it out. If you’re mad, punch a pillow. Do whatever helps you process your emotions, and work through them. 

Identify what exactly you need to let go of 

Through all these emotions you might feel lost and unaware of what exactly you need to let go of, which is why acceptance and acknowledgment are important steps. It can be difficult to let go of someone or something, especially if it’s been a part of your life for a long time and you’ve deeply cared about it. 

To make progress you should first reflect and identify what needs to change in your life in order to move forward. After reflecting and identifying it, it’s important to make a plan to stay consistent. This may involve journaling or making small adjustments to your life. 

Practice self-care 

A lot of us forget to take care of ourselves since we can become so invested in our strong mix of emotions. Many people might think that curling up in bed and watching your favorite rom-com movies isn’t the best way to take care of yourself, however, comforting yourself is just as important. 

You can also take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, going shopping, and eating your favorite foods. Practicing self-care can help you put yourself first and improve your stress and worries. 

Different people have different ways they take care of themselves, but it is crucial to remember to take care of yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

Create a support circle 

Surround yourself with people who you love and who love you. During this process, you may feel alone and think that no one truly understands how you’re feeling. This is why you should identify supportive people who you trust and feel comfortable talking to about how you feel. 

Don’t be afraid to reach out to people and let them know you are going through a difficult time and need their company (if that’s what you need). Prioritize fulfilling these healthy relationships, because they are the ones that are going to make sure you get through this! 

Focus on the present moment

It is really hard to not let go of the past or be nervous about the future. There are so many things that can go wrong, but there are also many things that can go exactly the way they’re supposed to.

We can’t change the past or predict the future, but we can decide how we handle things right now. So go do what makes you happy by cherishing the present and making the most of what you’ve got. 

You’re always going to have that worry in the back of your mind, but there’s already a path laid out for you, and what is meant to happen will happen
Letting go can be a challenging and vulnerable process, but it is important to embrace it and go through the healing process in your own way. Whether that means finding comfort in your pet, dressing up in your favorite outfit, or writing down your emotions in an aesthetic notebook, vulnerability can help us work through our feelings in the long run. Don’t worry about the expectation to be okay immediately; it’s okay not to be okay. Remember that everything you have gone through in life has shaped you into the person you are today, and while things may not have gone as planned, something even better will eventually come into your life. Trust the journey and have faith, and you will understand why things happened the way they did.

hi! my name is ria and im a freshman at san jose state, majoring in psychology! I love exploring new things, spending time with loved ones, music, and of corse writing. hope you stay <3