Everything we know about “That 90’s Show”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

One of my all-time favorite television shows is That 70’s Show. The show had every quality that a good sitcom needs, such as a hilarious script, incredibly talented actors, and an intriguing plotline. The show ran on Fox from 1998-2006 and became very successful, winning many awards and launching the careers of several talented actors who are still thriving in the business today. Being such a highly watched show, they were granted a spin-off while That 70’s Show was still airing. Unfortunately, the reboot only lasted one season as it did not gain the popularity that was expected. Since the last reboot did not go as well as planned, why would they do another? What makes the old reboot different from the other? I’m about to let you know all of the information that I have acquired regarding the new spin-off and why it could be more successful than their last reboot attempt. 

After seeing the viewer rates of That 70’s Show before it was taken off of Netflix in September of 2020, Netflix got to see how many people love this show and saw the potential for a spin-off. The new show, That 90’s Show, is going to be premiering on Netflix with 10 episodes. The reboot is going to be produced by the Carsey-Werner Company, which produced the original show and the other spin-off. Point Place, Wisconsin is where the show will be taking place, just like the original. The most exciting news that I have heard is that two of the main cast members will be coming back for this reboot. Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith played Red and Kitty Forman, who were a married couple as well as the parents of the main character. I was thrilled to hear that they are reprising their roles because they contribute so much comedy and heart to the show. They are also going to be playing the grandparents to the main character, Leia Forman. Leia is the daughter of their son, Eric Forman, and his long-term girlfriend Donna Pinciotti. She was named Leia because a lot of the episodes on That 70’s Show revolved around Eric and his Star Wars obsession. Leia is going to be visiting her beloved grandparents in Point Place for a fun summer vacation, where she will inevitably meet a new friend group that will most likely resemble her parents and their friends. 

Even though the original show was incredibly successful, That 80’s Show did not live up to the hype. The ratings were significantly lower for several reasons, which is why a lot of people are questioning why there is going to be another. There were several factors that contributed to the lack of success, such as how they did not include any concepts from That 70’s Show in That 80’s Show. They failed to make any real connection to the original show that people loved so much, but the reboot is going to be doing just that. The spin-off took place in San Diego, California, and had no relation to any of the beloved original characters, except for one being the cousin of Eric Forman. By adding two of the original cast members to the series, they are already at more of an advantage than That 80’s Show since people will watch just to see Red and Kitty Forman again. The timing of the show was also poor, as the ’80s had just happened and people were not yet nostalgic for the era. The comedy was also not the best, whereas That 70’s Show had some amazing jokes that are still referenced to this day. 

All in all, That 80’s Show may have flopped, but That 90’s Show has a lot more potential to thrive. From including former cast members to maintaining the original show’s location of Point Place, Wisconsin, the reboot is clearly set up to succeed. Hopefully, we get to see more of the original cast members make a special appearance throughout the series. Unfortunately, I have not heard any information about release dates or when filming would begin. Even if we get to see the new show next week or in a few years, I will be just as excited either way. I hope you are all just as excited for the new spin-off as I am! 

Tell us what you think about the spin-off by tagging us @HerCampusSJSU!

Hello everyone! My name is Bella Phan and I am a fourth year studying Public Health at San Jose State University! I have always loved to write and I am so excited to be continuing that passion with Her Campus at SJSU.