Demystifying Downtime on a Commuter Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Attending a campus that has been deemed a so-called commuter school can be like walking through a thick crowd one minute and a ghost town the next. Finding a parking space is like finding striking gold except, it almost feels more rewarding to us students to find a space just in time rather than harvesting precious metals. 

What do you do in the down time though? The constant rush going between classes and commitments all the while not living on campus, puts commuter students in an odd zombie-like state, aimlessly wandering around campus in a semi-uncomfortable state of over caffeinated consciousness. 

Commuter students have it rough because unlike their classmates who live on campus, there is not an accessible place to nap between classes. Students become relegated to their cars or crashing on the couches of friends who do live on campus. 

It becomes a daily game of, “Where can I go, but not feel awkward and where no one will steal my stuff if I go to the bathroom?” Just kidding, rule number one for commuters is never leave your stuff alone and be responsible for yourself.

San Jose State has a couple of quiet areas on campus where you can rewind and relax. In the Health and Wellness Center, there is a student lounge on the bottom floor with a lot of comfortable spaces to let your guard down just enough to relax a little and even take a quick nap.

Another option is always the library, but it can be crowded and uncomfortable at times. Luckily, there are study rooms available to rent for an hour at a time or you can pop in one if someone forgoes their reservation. It is important to be keep in mind that the library is public and watch out for your backpack. 

My favorite space by far is the writing center in Clark Hall. Even if you have not scheduled an appointment, you are allowed to work on schoolwork or keep to yourself in a quiet and calm environment. I tend to pop in my headphones and get deep into my assignments without the auditory and visual distractions that are abundant throughout campus.

If you have a sacred space on campus, hold tight! According to enrollment statistics, there are over 30,000 students enrolled at SJSU. Just like parking spaces, areas on campus that provide a quick break from the hustle and bustle are becoming more scarce.

Shellise West is the current campus correspondent at San Jose State University. Majoring in journalism with a minor in radio, television and film she plans to not fall short of fulfilling her dream as a sports reporter. A Bay Area native her hobbies include singing, dancing and listening to music. Follow Shellise on Twitter @SoulfulPenned.