Culture > News

Coronavirus; The Stay-At-Home Order Was Lifted Way Too Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Since the holiday season is now over, the stay-at-home order put on California by Governor Newsom has now been lifted. I feel as if this is too early and there should have been further precautions taken before doing so.

Newsom, alongside other health officials, says that they are confident in this decision and will continue to mentor numbers moving forward. I am definitely not a doctor, but I think it’s common sense to know that we should wait a couple more months before fully trusting the numbers and the vaccines.

Being a roommate with two immune-compromised girls, it worries me that this is not going to benefit anyone since I believe positive cases will begin to increase again.

I work at two different retail stores, and the stay-at-home order being lifted has caused a greater amount of stress for me. While I work I wear a 2 mask, gloves, a face shield and I carry hand sanitizer to make sure I am extra protected. Not only for my safety but I also think about the safety of my roommates. The hours have increased and so has the capacity limit at the two stores I work at.

Our governor’s actions make me question whether his judgment is best for California or if he is being selfish. I feel that he is trying to please everyone while he forms his actions. With this being lifted, many people are beginning to go out again and become careless.

Statically, there are fewer people testing positive, but it does not change the fact that COVID-19 is still a serious issue and shouldn’t be taken lightly.

In the past month, there have been a large number of COVID-19 vaccines being distributed around the country. Though this is a good turning point, it does not change the fact that we are still in a pandemic.

I trust science and am glad that we were able to get the vaccine as fast as we did, but just because there’s a vaccine doesn’t mean that everyone is automatically safe now. There are numbers that still show that people dying from COVID-19 while many others are unable to receive the vaccine due to the vaccine tier group list. We are seeing some progress and the numbers just show that we are moving in the right direction.

I just think it was too soon for anyone to determine whether or not the stay-at-home order should have been lifted.

We should be safe rather than taking a risk, regardless of the outcome is good or bad.

4 years as a high school journalist: Writer, Sports Editor, Executive Editor 3rd year San Jose State University journalism major student.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah