flex menstrual cup box in a basket with flowers
Original photo by Camyll Reyes
Wellness

Are Menstrual Cups Worth the Switch?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Every month, women go through a number of disposable menstruation products. However, one of the most neglected menstruation products is the menstrual cup. Considering its merits, menstrual cups are a more eco-friendly and economic alternative. These bell-shaped cups are designed to be reused and, depending on the brand, they can last up to ten years. Priced at an average of $40, menstrual cups are much more affordable long term than pads or tampons.

Of course, I wanted to give them a try. This week, I bought my first menstrual cup by the company Flex, which is recommended for beginners. Here are my thoughts on my first experience with the praised, silicone bell-shaped cup.

Functionality

The Flex menstrual cup is designed to hold up to twelve hours, which I found that to be true on my first day. However, it’s important to choose the fit that accommodates your flow. Flex offers a “full fit” for those with a heavy flow, and a “slim fit” for those with a regular or light flow. I was surprised to see no leakage during my first use so I felt pretty confident sleeping with it.

tampons with flowers
Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Comparison to Tampons and Pads

I believe the most inconvenient aspect of the menstrual cup is the learning curve. As an avid tampon user, I was definitely overconfident about my insertion abilities. I soon learned that it takes practice and form. Flex suggested three folds of insertion for the cup: u-fold, punch down fold, and 7-fold. Each vagina is different, so give yourself some time to figure out which fold works best for you. I was surprised that I could feel the cup open up once inside, but other than that, I couldn’t feel it. I pretty much forgot that it was there!

Health Pros & Cons

I recommend doing your research and figuring out which brand of the cup works best for you. There are many factors to consider when purchasing a cup. Definitely consult your doctor if you use an IUD or if you have a history with toxic shock syndrome. Flex ensures their customers that their product is BPA free. The only real concern you would have after purchasing is making sure to wash the cup before and after use.

a hand holding a blue menstrual cup
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Cleaning Tips

Cleaning the menstrual cup is one of its most feared aspects. I recommend the menstrual cup for women who are confident and comfortable with their own bodies, as you’ll be spending time removing the cup and washing it. Personally, I chose Flex because of the user-friendly loop that makes removal similar to the removal of a tampon. However, the cup is a little bigger than a tampon, so my body had to get used to relaxing its muscles enough for removal. After dumping the cup in the toilet, I had no issues washing it with oil-free soap and water.

Environmental Benefits

One of the most valued features of the menstrual cup is its eco-friendly advantages. One menstrual cup on average holds about three tampons worth of blood so that in itself would drastically cut down the amount of waste produced.

All in all, the menstrual cup was just as effective as advertised. In my opinion, the benefits outweigh any downsides there may be. If you’re looking to save money and are willing to adapt, the menstrual cup could be for you.

Hi! My name is Camyll and I'm a sophomore at San Jose State University pursuing Public Relations.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah