Anika’s Declassified College Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

This past August, I started my Senior year of college. The last two months have been filled with self-rediscovery and reflection on the person I entered college as three years ago and who I want to leave as. I analyzed all I did right and wanted to compile it for people who are just starting their college journey!

The first thing you must know is that I am NOT the smartest person. I might have street smarts but in school, I’m a pretty average person. Because of this I led with my strong foot forward and leaned into my street smarts. 

1. Joining Clubs

The biggest thing I did to help my college journey was to join a club in my first year! I’m an International Business major, but Marketing always interested me so I joined the Marketing Association at SJSU and that was the smartest thing I’ve ever done. 

The growth I’ve had from this club alone has expanded my knowledge of the world, especially the business world. Another club I joined my sophomore year was Her Campus at SJSU. This helped me learn, expand my social network, and make connections with women on campus!

1. Getting a Job

My first year I also applied for and got a job on campus. I was a Peer Mentor but I think any role (i.e. RA, Campus Guide) would’ve had the same effect. The main objective for doing this is to get you connected to campus so that while you’re helping others, you can also learn about what resources are available to you as a student. 

During my college experience, the coronavirus pandemic hit. From my freshman year to the second semester until just before my junior year first semester, so much of my college experience was limited. 

I’ve been spending my Senior year making up for all I missed, but I did not let my time go to waste those 2 years. In the peak of the pandemic, I made sure to take all the classes I could and I searched for a job! Especially during the summer, I couldn’t just sit at home and do nothing for 2.5 months. 

1. Professional Experience 

With Covid at a high, there was nothing to do but try and better myself. Utilizing my extra time, I got a brand ambassador position and then an internship. Being a brand ambassador was something I always wanted to do as a college student. Because I was so involved with the program, I leveraged those relationships to get an internship. 

Internships are so crucial. Once you get something substantial to talk about in interviews or put on your resume, you’re in. I realized after my first internship, it was so much easier to get another after I could prove I was a worthy candidate. 

1. Networking 

The most important part about college which is implied but never explicitly mentioned is the fact to have fun. Along with all the work you’re doing in your classes and building a career, a big piece is to make friends and meet new people. Those people you meet might end up being your best friends for life, or not. Or they might be your new boss or the person who helps you get a job in 10 years. The point is to never stop building and growing yourself and your connections.

Now as I search for jobs after graduation, I realize that all my experiences in college, the clubs I joined, the jobs I had, and the people I met, all add up to a story and almost a brand of who I am. I try to advise anyone who asks me for advice on college to find themselves and find where they want to fit into the world. I’m not saying I’m perfect or know exactly who I am, but I know much more than where I started!

Share your college tips and journey with us at @HerCampusSJSU

Anika is a second year at SJSU with a Major in International Business and a Minor in Advertising. She is the Vice President of the Marketing Association and is also a Peer Mentor at SJSU. She loves fashion and adventure and loves to write about both!