black and white blank challenge connect 262488jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
black and white blank challenge connect 262488jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels
Wellness > Mental Health

Affirmations for the Perfectionist When Procrastinating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Reminders for the Perfectionist When Procrastinating

It’s not laziness. It’s fear.

Oftentimes, procrastination is criticized as a form of laziness. In fact, procrastination can very well be a symptom of perfectionism. Considering this, it’s important to analyze the root of your procrastination rather than berate yourself for it. The desire for a perfect result can be daunting to fulfill. At times when fear takes over our thoughts, we shut down and develop an abstract, unattainable idea of how the task needs to be done. You are very capable of easing your own fears.  

You have enough time.

Time is your friend. As a perfectionist, completing a task can feel like a race against the clock. Remember that you own your time and you can allocate it how you see fit. Denise Jacobs, the founder of The Creative Dose, explains the danger of uncertainty when approaching a task. To ease the stress of a seemingly overwhelming task, Jacobs suggests taking the time to break down the task into less intimidating portions.

Good enough is good enough.

The need to be perfect on the first try can put a lot of pressure on oneself. To manage the intimidating feelings of the first attempt, ease yourself into the task by altering your standards. The process of completing a task isn’t black and white. Altering unrealistic expectations can make tasks seem more approachable. Aiming for an attainable, sufficient result will help get your foot in the door and end your procrastination.

You’re worth more than your performance.

As perfectionists, it can be easy to fall into the habit of berating ourselves for flawed tasks. This is especially apparent when we avoid a task due to the fear of failing it. That same pressure can deter our motivation to start. When our self-worth is dependent on our performance, putting off a task can be a form of avoiding the anxiety tied with falling short of an unrealistic expectation. Learning how to separate your worth from your performance will help give you the confidence to start intimidating projects.

Practice makes excellence.

Ending the procrastination cycle won’t take place overnight. Unlearning old habits will take practice and that’s okay. Although growth is not linear, the journey is worth it.

Hi! My name is Camyll and I'm a sophomore at San Jose State University pursuing Public Relations.
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah